The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

What causes cathode resistor to blow?

ChetJettison

What causes cathode resistor to blow? Empty What causes cathode resistor to blow?

Post by ChetJettison Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:09 pm

I had this issue happen before on my ST120 when a tube redplated. Cause? Effect? I couldn't say. But one of the cathode resistors had blown. Replacing it and putting in new tubes (a matched quad of TungSol 6550), the problem hasn't returned.
    Until today! I installed a brand new quad of Gold Lion KT88 tubes, because I missed their fluorescent glow. Seconds after switching the amp on: POP! Another cathode resistor blown.
    What can cause this so immediately after installing new tubes? Could I have a bad tube? Or is it something else?
    mijohn

What causes cathode resistor to blow? Empty Re: What causes cathode resistor to blow?

Post by mijohn Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:17 pm

Is the resistor that's blown on the same socket as before or another one?
    ChetJettison

What causes cathode resistor to blow? Empty Re: What causes cathode resistor to blow?

Post by ChetJettison Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:19 pm

Same side, different socket.
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:31 pm

Well, I think I would replace the resistor and put the Tungsol's back in or try the Gold Lions again on opposite channels to see if the problem is in the tube that blows a resistor if it happens again..
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:21 am

ChetJettison wrote:I had this issue happen before on my ST120 when a tube redplated. Cause? Effect? I couldn't say. But one of the cathode resistors had blown. Replacing it and putting in new tubes (a matched quad of TungSol 6550), the problem hasn't returned.
    Until today! I installed a brand new quad of Gold Lion KT88 tubes, because I missed their fluorescent glow. Seconds after switching the amp on: POP! Another cathode resistor blown.
    What can cause this so immediately after installing new tubes? Could I have a bad tube? Or is it something else?

Did you turn down the bias adjustment to minimum bias before changing tubes ? If not
    the new tubes might have drawn excessive bias and thus blows the resistor.

Any powertube changes need bias adjustment, and should start with bias at the minimum.

Dave_in_Va and 10-E-C like this post

Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Chet, also clean and retention the sockets pins. Different tubes do have small differences in pin diameter. Dale

Dave_in_Va likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am