The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs

tacuba

Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs Empty Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs

Post by tacuba Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 am

Hello.

I acquired a pair of Dynaco Mark IIs that I plan to mod to essentially convert them to Dynaco Mark IIIs.

I plan to replace the quad cap with SDS Lab's power supply board and I plan to use tube4hifi's Mark III driver board.

Has anyone here made this upgrade as well? Since the Mark II transformer doesn't come with a 16ohm tap, what do I do about the NFB connection?

Any other issues I should keep in mind?

Bob had posted this official bulletin from Dynaco on converting Mark IIs to IIIs, but not sure how relevant it is considering I'm going with a modern power and driver board: https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t4126-dynaco-mark-ii-to-mark-iii-conversion

Cheers!
    peterh
    peterh

Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs Empty Re: Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs

Post by peterh Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:23 am

tacuba wrote:Hello.

I acquired a pair of Dynaco Mark IIs that I plan to mod to essentially convert them to Dynaco Mark IIIs.

I plan to replace the quad cap with SDS Lab's power supply board and I plan to use tube4hifi's Mark III driver board.

Has anyone here made this upgrade as well? Since the Mark II transformer doesn't come with a 16ohm tap, what do I do about the NFB connection?

Any other issues I should keep in mind?

Bob had posted this official bulletin from Dynaco on converting Mark IIs to IIIs, but not sure how relevant it is considering I'm going with a modern power and driver board: https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t4126-dynaco-mark-ii-to-mark-iii-conversion

Cheers!

As for the output transformer; MkII HAS a 16 ohm tap. It is missing a 4 ohm tap compared with
    MkIII.

What you intend is basically to create a pair of donkeys from a working Dynaco's :-(

Well, it _might_ be as good and it does use tubes in current production. But it is no Dynaco and that
    will be shown at selling time ( or fault diagnosing)

Myself would have followed Bob's advise.
    tacuba

Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs Empty Re: Dynaco Mark II to III conversion - tubes4hifi + SDS Labs

Post by tacuba Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 am

Thank you for correcting me about the 4ohm vs. 16ohm tap.

To clarify, one unit is a Mark III (A-431 with choke) and the other a Mark II (A-430, no choke). Both are in such disrepair that a complete overhaul is warranted.

I didn't grow up with these units and don't mind straying from the original builds.

That said, thank you for the reply.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:44 pm

tacuba wrote:Thank you for correcting me about the 4ohm vs. 16ohm tap.

To clarify, one unit is a Mark III (A-431 with choke) and the other a Mark II (A-430, no choke). Both are in such disrepair that a complete overhaul is warranted.

I didn't grow up with these units and don't mind straying from the original builds.

That said, thank you for the reply.
    Departures from the original Dynaco has seldom improved the performance but always
    made cost higher and introduced problems with later service. It will usually reduce the
    value as folks that want a Dynaco would like an unmunged one.

That said you will get most benefit with staying original with compatible parts. But it's
    your amp and you can do what you want with them.

Tubes4ever likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:59 am