The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Where to find the 6AN8 ?

Greg_M
    Greg_M

Where to find the 6AN8 ? Empty Where to find the 6AN8 ?

Post by Greg_M Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 am

I'm having a tough time finding listings for the 6AN8 tube.
    I did a search here and can't find much either. Is there a substitute or something?
    What's everyone doing for them these days?

Using it in a Sunn 200S (Mark III) Bass amp.
    GP49

Where to find the 6AN8 ? Empty Re: Where to find the 6AN8 ?

Post by GP49 Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 am

In a matter of minutes I found three sources for new 6AN8A tubes.

Antique Electronic Supply, about $8
    The Tubestore.com, about $10
    Triode Electronics, about $13

I have enough 6AN8A tubes to run my Dynaco Mk II amplifiers well past my lifetime, but if I recondition some of the ones sleeping on shelves in the garage, I may want to lay in a supply. If so, I've always found Antique Electronic easy to deal with and fast to ship.

The 6AN8A was a popular tube found in television sets but as it's not widely used in audio, it has not been produced by tube makers in Russia, China or the Slavic countries; so what you'll get is new old stock, probably USA production.
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 am

Greg_M
    Greg_M

Post by Greg_M Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks
    I was a little nervous about the "A" on the end and was not certain they would interchange correctly or would interchange without a tonal change. I guess I should stock up.
    Thanks for the links.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 am

You should bookmark this excellent and easy-to-use resource, for reference when you have a question about tube types:

http://www.duncanamps.com/tdsl/tubesearch.php

You can enter the number of just about any tube and get the ratings and application data. Using this resource, 6AN8 and 6AN8A are shown as being functionally identical. Usually when a suffix is added or upgraded it represents an change in the tube, which remains back-compatible with the older type. The improvement may be functional, such as higher maximum voltage rating; or it may reflect changes in the design for better durability, resistance to vibration, or other physical characteristics (such as a glass bulb replacing a metal case in 6L6 vs. 6L6G).

This site also includes crossreference data to other tube types as a guide for substitution, including which types are identical or nearly so, which are similar but with differences in ratings or performance, which are similar but with different pinouts, and which are similar but run on different filament voltages.

For greater in-depth research, any of the several tube manuals contain even more information.
    Greg_M
    Greg_M

Post by Greg_M Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am

Very Nice!
    Thanks
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 pm

typically the A after a tube type denotes it uses a slow start filament rather than the original filament type that "flashed" brightly upon power-up due to current surge thru the nearly dead short circuit.
    "A" type tubes were made so that tubes could be wired in series to share an equal amount of current properly.
    Most tubes have been type "A" since the mid-60s.
    Another common suffix is "W" and is usually WA or WB, denoting a heavy duty version of the updated tube.
    Greg_M
    Greg_M

Post by Greg_M Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Are the suffixes generally the first letter(s) of a word?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am