The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

FM-3 rebuild photos on photobucket

baddog1946
    baddog1946

FM-3 rebuild photos on photobucket Empty FM-3 rebuild photos on photobucket

Post by baddog1946 Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 am

Here are the pics of the complete FM-3 rebuild I did.

https://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc446/baddog1946/
    WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

FM-3 rebuild photos on photobucket Empty Re: FM-3 rebuild photos on photobucket

Post by WntrMute2 Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Very nice looking. Are there more photos or just the half dozen or so? You've got me considering this as a next project.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 am

I can easily take more. This was a fun project and the donor tuners are not expensive if you are patient and wait for deals. I needed parts from three tuners to make this one. I will try to post some more in a day or so.
    Pooch

Post by Pooch Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Nice work! How is the FM3 for DXing? I have a rooftop antenna to pull Seattle about a 100 miles away. Some tuners won't pull very well at this distance.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 am

Hi: Pooch
    I live in Costa Rica about 150 miles from the capital where all the big stations are and I get several stations from there with a god DX signal and a few more from Nicaragua which is about the same distance.
    I get these on this newly refurbished tuner using only a small outdoor dipole antenna and the other stock tuners I have also get most of these stations but with intermittent stereo and some of the stations are not listenable in the stereo mode and have a lot of static depending on the weather etc.
    The tuner I did with the new parts and motherboard is in a class by itself in comparison probably because it has all new parts with spot on values. I also spent a lot of time getting the alignment just right. Not as easy as Dynaco says in their build manual. The last few fine adjustments make a big difference.
    This new tuner is very quiet and has no hum whatsoever. I think it is well worth the cost as the tube tone is superb.
    I have an Onkyo SS tuner that sounds quite inferior to this tuner in A-B tests. My total cost for everything was less than $325.00 US. including the donor tuner.
    Baddog1946

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 pm