The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
baddog1946
Bob Latino
GP49
polarflux
8 posters

Passive attenuator kit

polarflux
    polarflux

Passive attenuator kit Empty Passive attenuator kit

Post by polarflux Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:43 am

I know Bob Latino offers a stepped attenuator add on for the ST-70/ST-120. I'd like to use a passive attenuator, but I need something external so I can use it with other gear in addition to my ST-70. I am aware of Goldpoint attenuators and similar products, but can anyone suggest a more reasonably priced, good quality DIY kit that would offer a similar level of performance. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    GP49

Passive attenuator kit Empty Re: Passive attenuator kit

Post by GP49 Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 am

Check out EBay item #320494446742. It's a 100KΩ, 21-step log taper attenuator, a copy of a design by ALPS.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with this EBay seller.

Last edited by GP49 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:14 am

Just to clear something up ... That stepped attenuator mentioned is an "Alps type" attenuator but it is not an attenuator "by ALPS" as GP49 has suggested. I think that Polarflux is looking for an external box type passive volume control possibly with multiple inputs. At the link below is a Chinese version of a "Goldpoint type" passive preamp with three inputs ..

Chinese passive preamp

Bob
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 am

Check out Scott Endler's stepped attenuators.I have had a pair for over a year, they are top quality at a good price.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:20 am

I've been also looking for a passive Pre-Amp (external) such as this... The one Bob posted is pretty much exactly like the one I'd like... the only change I'd like would be a remote control feature.

I'm talking to Maple Tree Audio (Lloyd) about doing one for me. this would have a •DACT stepped attenuator (100K) with Bent Audio motorized control. This will be spendy... Bent audio is not too cheap.

I'd like to have my amp in close proximity to the CD play, Digital Cable TV converter box... etc.. And this passive preamp... So a remote to control the atenuator would be nice!

Good luck on the search.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Just to clear something up ... That stepped attenuator mentioned is an "Alps type" attenuator but it is not an attenuator "by ALPS" as GP49 has suggested.

Bob

IMHO, I don't think GP49 meant to imply that the attenuator was "by ALPS", but that the design was by ALPS and was copied by whomever produced this product.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Charlie,

GP49 has edited his post above to say that he meant to say that the item is "a copy of a design by Alps". It's just that his orginal post said that the Ebay item was "by Alps". The ad by this Chinese Ebay vendor is misleading to say the least. He uses the word "Alps" in the title of the Ebay web page > "SMT Resistor 100K Step Attenuator Volume Control Alps" yet nowhere does it say the word "Alps" in the item description.

Bob
    polarflux
    polarflux

Post by polarflux Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 am

OK, thanks for all the info. As I did into this topic I'm beginning to understand that there are a trillion ways to skin the passive preamp cat. Interestingly, there seem to be few suppliers for good quality stepped attenuators (Elma, Dact, Goldpoint) and that many of the kit options I have looked at are super expensive, or come from overseas, or both.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Post by DynakitParts Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:45 am

Hi,
    Although not a kit...Check out the Axiom line of passive preamps offered by
    Luminous Audio Technology. www.luminousaudio.com

These are made here in the USA...I like that and I have used their products with
    pleasing results.

Kevin @ Dynakit
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 am

DynakitParts wrote:

Kevin @ Dynakit

Speaking of preamps, Kevin when do you project the PAS chassis' will be available for sale?
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Passive attenuator kit Empty New PAS Preamp chassis & parts

Post by DynakitParts Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Luddite,
    I just completed all the CAD drawings on Friday & released the order for the
    sheet metal. Power transformer prototype is in production and face plate screen artwork
    (2) styles is done. This has been one hell of a project with many hours of engineering.

To answer your question....I expect to have this product available by May 2011.

Please buy one...I will have (50) units available.

Regards,

Kevin @ Dynakit
    polarflux
    polarflux

Post by polarflux Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 am

DynakitParts wrote:
    Hi,
    Although not a kit...Check out the Axiom line of passive preamps offered by
    Luminous Audio Technology. www.luminousaudio.com

These are made here in the USA...I like that and I have used their products with
    pleasing results.

Kevin @ Dynakit

I looked at those and that might be just the ticket. Seems like the really good stepped attenuators push the price of most good passive preamps too high. I am interested in how the Axiom units shunt the signal avoiding passing the signal through the attenuator allowing the use of an Alps type unit. I wish I understood this better because this makes me wonder why anyone would ever not do this in any attenuator application, conventional or stepped? I also like the fact that each unit is custom tailored to your your system - it does not get any better than that! Oh, and dead cheap also. In this hobby that is significant. Thanks for the info on this.
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 am

I'm going to do a build... I'm not seeing much sold that is what I want. I think Lloyd of Maple Tree will do it but it would be spendy.

I'm going to build using a DACT Attenuator from -
    DACT CT2 100k Attenuator

Then get this for the remote control of the Attenuator -
    BENT Attenuator Remote

Then it is the audio select source switch... Generic Gold RCA connectors... A nice box
    ddanbo

Post by ddanbo Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:36 pm