The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring?

elmostro

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Empty pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring?

Post by elmostro Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:14 pm

i need help on how to wire TCLA bass and treble switch, the wiring is 1 red 18 gage wire 1 red 20 gage wire 1 green 18 gage wire 1 light green wire 1 yellow wire and 1 white wire. I don't have the instruction to wire the switch. thanks
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Empty Re: pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring?

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:21 pm

you should have received a manual with the PCBs that show how to connect it.
    I'm away from home for a week on vacation and will return on the 26th if you haven't figured it out by then.
    Both PCBs are marked with the connections, something like TCA, TCB, and TCC. 3 connections on each channel, so left TCA to left TCA, etc and right TCA to right TCA, very simple.
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm

I have the same board going together now. Mine came with the wires already connected to the smaller control board. I can take a picture of that to help. I have not yet connected it up to the main board but will help if you need that as well. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight when I get home.

Sandy
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:00 pm

I am also constructing a TCLA preamp in a PAS chassis (to be completed as soon as I receive the new chassis). According to the diagram I received from Roy for the (2) tone control board, the terminals on the "Phoenix" connector strip as viewed in the photo above are (from left to right) as follows: TCA-L, TCA-R, TCB-L, TCB-R, TCC-L, and TCC-R. I hope that answers your questions.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm

The instructions that I have match your PCB (Dual Controlls) for the tone control board, mine is the one with 4 pots not 2 so mine is a bit different. Charlie double check the diagram, the one that I have has it as follows if laid out the same in the picture -

(BASS POT SIDE) TA-R, TA-L, TC-R, TC-L, TB-R, TB-L (TREBLE POT SIDE)

This is looking at the sheet that Roy sent. What's odd on mine control is that Roy had the first 3 wires RED then the second 3 GREEN like the colors signify the L/R but I'll not make the assumption now.

I'm tight for time tonight, but will try to check back.

Sandy
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 pm

sandy wrote:The instructions that I have match your PCB (Dual Controlls) for the tone control board, mine is the one with 4 pots not 2 so mine is a bit different. Charlie double check the diagram, the one that I have has it as follows if laid out the same in the picture -

(BASS POT SIDE) TA-R, TA-L, TC-R, TC-L, TB-R, TB-L (TREBLE POT SIDE)

This is looking at the sheet that Roy sent. What's odd on mine control is that Roy had the first 3 wires RED then the second 3 GREEN like the colors signify the L/R but I'll not make the assumption now.

I'm tight for time tonight, but will try to check back.

Sandy

Just checked and when I view the (2) tone control diagram in my instructions with the control shafts pointing away from me (bass control on the left), then the terminals are marked as I previously described. Note that the components in my diagram are arranged slightly different than in the photo above, which could mean an alternate version of the board. This may explain the discrepancy. BTW, I am actually using the (4) tone control circuit, which is wired differently, in my project.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Charlie -

I think I have the same board you have (4 pots). I pulled those right off the sheet that Roy sent. I'll try to get a scan of that as that sheet may be different or I'm looking at something wrong. The one thing that is odd is the orientation of the phoenix connector on the tone board goes the opposite direction as the one on the sheet. On the sheet the connector looks vertical, on the board it looks horizontal (right in the middle of the board going across the small dimension) I'll get a picture of what I have too just for grins easier then trying to explain Wink

I will also double check my L/R markings, they may have been made in haste.

[edited - added picture]
    pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Tc_boa10

Sandy
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Here is the sheet I got with my boards, however the board is a bit different layout -

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Tcla_110
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

sandy wrote:Charlie -

I think I have the same board you have (4 pots). I pulled those right off the sheet that Roy sent. I'll try to get a scan of that as that sheet may be different or I'm looking at something wrong. The one thing that is odd is the orientation of the phoenix connector on the tone board goes the opposite direction as the one on the sheet. On the sheet the connector looks vertical, on the board it looks horizontal (right in the middle of the board going across the small dimension) I'll get a picture of what I have too just for grins easier then trying to explain Wink

Sandy

Sandy,

Please check the orientation of your (4) tone control board. From your photo it looks to be rotated to the wrong side. You can find a photo on Roy's website of one of these he has installed in a PAS preamp. (http://www.tubes4hifi.com/PAS3.htm) It appears that the opposite side should be facing out. The way you have it connected to the pots would require reverse rotation. In other words, increasing bass or treble would require counter-clockwise rotation instead of clockwise.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm going purely from memory since I'm away from home on a weeks vacation, but I think on the board in question it's a newer version with the connector oriented differently, and it might be TC, TB, TA, TA, TB, TC across the connector.
    On Sandy's board the red wires were right channel and green wires were left channel. On another build I used different colors (as I had more wire colors to choose from at the time) for each one. Either way, there should have been a PCB layout diagram on paper showing which hole was for which connection.
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Luddite wrote:
    sandy wrote:Charlie -

Sandy

Sandy,

Please check the orientation of your (4) tone control board. From your photo it looks to be rotated to the wrong side. You can find a photo on Roy's website of one of these he has installed in a PAS preamp. (http://www.tubes4hifi.com/PAS3.htm) It appears that the opposite side should be facing out. The way you have it connected to the pots would require reverse rotation. In other words, increasing bass or treble would require counter-clockwise rotation instead of clockwise.

Best Regards,
    Charlie

Charlie -

You are going to like this one as I toss it into the mix, the board came pre-assembled by Roy!

Sandy
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 am

I'm back, the photo Sandy posted is correct, it is the latest version of the PCB used for 4 mono tone controls,
    the diagram he posted is an older version, the only real difference is the orientation of the connector.
    The connections from left to right are TA-R, TB-R, TC-R, TC-L, TB-L, TA-L.
    About half of those sold are using 2 stereo controls, the other half are using 4 mono controls,
    and the PCBs are slightly different in layout, but same exact circuit.
    The reason the boards are different from before is everytime I have new boards made,
    I always incorporate improvements, either in circuit quality or simplified layout.

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 pm

here is the diagram to match the photo ELMOSTRO posted on his question:
    this is the version for those using 2 stereo tone controls instead of 4 mono controls . . .

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Tclav22

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:22 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:I'm back, the photo Sandy posted is correct, it is the latest version of the PCB used for 4 mono tone controls,
    the diagram he posted is an older version, the only real difference is the orientation of the connector.
    The connections from left to right are TA-R, TB-R, TC-R, TC-L, TB-L, TA-L.
    About half of those sold are using 2 stereo controls, the other half are using 4 mono controls,
    and the PCBs are slightly different in layout, but same exact circuit.
    The reason the boards are different from before is everytime I have new boards made,
    I always incorporate improvements, either in circuit quality or simplified layout.

Thanks Roy -

We crossed emails and posts, but I think this will get me going.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 pm

here is the definitive for the photo layout of Sandy's TCLA - note connections restated under diagram for the 6 pin connector

pas TCLA bass/trebble wiring? Tcv3
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:59 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:here is the definitive for the photo layout of Sandy's TCLA - note connections restated under diagram for the 6 pin connector

Roy,

Does terminal #3 on each pot connect to the hole(s) marked (+)? I understand terminal #3 to be the right (farthest clockwise) terminal when viewing the pot from the shaft side with the terminals pointing down below. I have the board pictured in your catalog (no terminal strip) not the one pictured in Sandy's photo. It looks to me like the board in your catalog photo is reversed (ie. showing the opposite side) from the one in Sandy's photo. Just want to make sure my pots are oriented correctly for clockwise rotation to increase and counter-clockwise rotation to decrease.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

yes, terminal 3 on the pots is fully CW position
    don't forget we are looking at the BACK side of Sandy's PCB
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:47 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:yes, terminal 3 on the pots is fully CW position
    don't forget we are looking at the BACK side of Sandy's PCB

Thanks Roy,

I just compared my board to the schematic and confirmed that the orientation should match your catalog photo. I have that same board (w/o the terminal strip). Now if Kevin would just send me the chassis... Wink

Best Regards,
    Charlie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am