The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps?

Ianderson

What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps? Empty What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps?

Post by Ianderson Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:12 am

Greetings All,

My first post here from an old Dynaco appreciator (my dad and I used to biuld kits in the late 60s together). I came across a pair of near mint MKiii's, the condition is truly remarkable, no pitting on the chrome, laminations on the trannies look like they were painted yesterday, 100% original down to the screws, boards, covers, even the boxes.

While inspecting the amps during the purchase I tested 4 of the all original Dynaco branded tubes and got near perfect readings on them. I'm presuming they are all in top form!

I'd like to maintain their value given the state of originality, while updating parts that will bring the sound up to snuff, what do you recommend?

Also if you have any experience in the value of these given the described condition, I'd appreciate your opinion on tha too. Lastly how would I identify there age?

Regards,

Ian
    Sal
    Sal

What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps? Empty Re: What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps?

Post by Sal Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 am

Nice find. What I would do to make the MK IV's reliable is replace all the capacitor including the quad capacitor and also replace the selenium rectifier for the bias circuit with a IN4004-1N4007 diode. You can also measure the resistors and replace any resistors that are out of tolerance. All parts can be purchased at Dynakitparts.com

If you want to sell them, my guess you can get at least $350 each with the condition you stated.

Regards,
    Sal
    sailor

What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps? Empty Re: What to do with a near mint Dynaco MK iii factory wired amps?

Post by sailor Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Sal is correct as the old electrolytic caps and the selenium diode can cause major damage to your tubes if they short out and old ones do it on a regular basis. So change them out before you play it or risk a possible loss of tubes.
    As far as price I think Sal is pricing Mark4 not two Mark III's which in perfect shape can bring $600 to $900 for the pair with original tubes and super clean. Don't know how to check year from serial numbers but open the bottom and see if all of the leads on the output transformers are cloth covered. If some or all are plastic it is a newer unit and not as valuable. Also see what is stamped on the transformers and let us know. I have seen a year stamp on some of the power transformers. If you can, take some pictures and post them. What is you serial numbers?
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I think I had a brain fart... Yes, I was thinking Mark IV...
    Sal

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am