The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+19
DarthBubba
harpy
Blitzen
bigsmall
arledgsc
Sprags
Pillo69
Tom
Windup
Maintarget
dubplatecutter
charlief64
GP49
sKiZo
anbitet66
hawaii.ken
buchela
Rich
Bob Latino
23 posters

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Empty HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by Bob Latino Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Most audiophiles have heard about using HD FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) files as high quality music sources. Some 24 bit FLAC files have even higher than CD (16 bit) quality. FLAC files are a "no loss" compressed music file as compared to mp3 files which are a "lossy" file. Just as DVD's and Blu-Ray movies have taken the place of movies on videotape, HD FLAC files may wind up taking the place of mp3 files for future music storage. The only down side is that FLAC files are 10 to 20 times larger than mp3 files and most DVD or CD players can not play these tracks if you burn them to a CD or a DVD. All computers can play these files provided you have the correct FLAC software player.

To play a FLAC file on your computer you need a software player like Winamp or Foobar2000. Both of these software players have a codec that can play FLAC files directly on your computer. Both Winamp and Foobar2000 are free downloads. There are places online that sell "HD tracks". There are a few places that allow a free download of a few FLAC files.

To really do justice to the sound quality of these files, you should have a high quality sound card OR an outboard DAC. The outboard DAC can accept the digital out from most computers. Some DAC's may also be plugged directly into a USB port on your computer. I use an older Bel Canto DAC that was replaced on my main music sytem by a new Sony SACD player. It made noticeable difference in sound quality coming from my computer. There are relatively low cost DAC's like the Schitt Modi ($99) or the Topping D20 ($140) which will upgrade the sound of your computer and cost a lot less than a high quality sound card.

I have stored online many of my FLAC files and have made some of them "public" for those who might like to try playing a FLAC file on their computer. All you have to do is first download and run Winamp or Foobar 2000 on your computer and then go to the link below.

Link > Skydrive HD tracks

Note - Unless you are a forum member, you will not see a clickable link.

You will see some HD tracks. When you try to download the file, the web site (Skydrive) will ask for an Email login. Use "Wolf012558@aol.com". The password is > "dynaco123" (Note > lower case "d" in dynaco). After you log in if you can't see any files, click on "Shared". If you click on any of the HD FLAC files, you will be allowed to download the file. All tracks are 24 bit HD tracks and the music selection will vary from week to week. I will try to put up new tracks every Monday morning ...

Lastly, these tracks are made available only for members of the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum. I would ask that you not pass around the internet this link and the log in information.

Thanks,
    Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
    Rich
    Rich

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by Rich Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Thank You Bob!
    buchela

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by buchela Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 pm

BOB, my dear friend, that music is for old dudes, I'm only 64. LOL
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for the tunes, Bob.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:44 pm

buchela wrote:BOB, my dear friend, that music is for old dudes, I'm only 64. LOL

Maybe I should put up some Justin Bieber tracks then just for you ?
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    buchela wrote:BOB, my dear friend, that music is for old dudes, I'm only 64. LOL

Maybe I should put up some Justin Bieber tracks then just for you ?
    lol!
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Don't forget about VLC Media player. Plays every file I've ever thrown at it. And buchela, I guess I'm old since I liked all the tracks. And to Bob about J.B. Uh,... No. Rolling Eyes
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Anyone interested in a few hundred thousand more?

http://archive.org

Lot's of archival stuff, as you'd expect. Even older than some of the stuff Bob linked. tongue

Also lots of live performances ... concerts, night clubs, etc. This one is what got me started on Cowboy Junkies. I'd pictured a bunch of rustlers sitting around a campfire chomping peyote ... little did I know.

http://archive.org/details/cowboyjunkies2012-04-26.at822.flac24

Excellent stuff. A bit heavy on the bass - nothing that a couple tweaks couldn't fix. I ran normalize and a shelf filter in SoundForge and it came out real good. I've since added several of their albums to my collection, including their entire recently released "nomad" series, some of which is featured in the download ...

Little tip ... you can just point and shoot to download all linked FLACs on a page using Firefox and Download Them All. I'm sure most other browsers have similar add ons available.

Anyway, I've downloaded a LOT of good stuff from there. Due to the size of the archive, it's kinda like panning for gold, but the little nuggets you find make it worthwhile.

GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Bob Latino wrote:...The only down side is that FLAC files are 10 to 20 times larger than mp3 files and most DVD or CD players can not play these tracks if you burn them to a CD or a DVD.

True, FLAC files can not be played on most CD (Red Label or other variants) DVD or Blu-Ray player.

However, FLAC files are not THAT much larger than the highest-definition (320kbps) mp3 files...only a bit over double their size. They are MUCH larger than the typical low-definition mp3 files that most people store and use because they "can't hear the difference" on their $3 earbud phones and a small memory-chip mp3 player with a 0.3 watt amplifier.

But we're not them.

On the other hand, a well-recorded 320kbps mp3 file, well-processed and converted, does not sound that much worse than a FLAC. The disadvantage of such a high-resolution mp3 lies in post-processing of the audio file. If you wish to edit, equalize, or otherwise process an audio file, most programs operate on WAV files and every time you convert an mp3 file back and forth, some information is either lost (in the conversion to mp3) or interpolated (in the conversion from mp3 to WAV). When converting to and from FLAC or Apple Lossless, there is no such loss or interpolation being done.
    charlief64

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Empty Thank You !

Post by charlief64 Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanx for the music. I find more and more FLAC files creeping into my library. I can personally recommend the Schitt audio DAC. Despite the fact that they (admittedly) snuck an op amp in there. It's a giant killer at $99. When Phillips recently announced that they would no longer produce audio equipment they stated that in the near future there would be no physical music media, with the exception of a vinyl niche market, they were talking about me. I still listen to a few cassettes (I have to feed the Nacamichi and she sounds so darn good) now and then, but for the most part it's vinyl and FLAC.
    charlie

Last edited by charlief64 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
    dubplatecutter
    dubplatecutter

Post by dubplatecutter Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:34 pm

just so you guys know, you CAN extract the wav file from the flac to burn on a CD..

flac [dot] sourceforge [dot] net [slash] download [dot] html (new users cannot post links) this link will show first on google if you search "flac"...

this is where it all started, and with this software you can compress or decompress flac file to their original state.. i hope this helps...
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 pm

dubplatecutter wrote:just so you guys know, you CAN extract the wav file from the flac to burn on a CD...

More and more programs accept FLAC, now. The freeware audio editor Audacity USED TO require conversion by an outside program of FLAC to WAV, which is the format in which the program actually functions; but the newest versions do the FLAC-to-WAV conversion by themselves.

I thought it odd that for a while, Audacity would EXPORT to FLAC but not IMPORT FLAC.
    dubplatecutter
    dubplatecutter

Post by dubplatecutter Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm

GP49 wrote:
    More and more programs accept FLAC, now. The freeware audio editor Audacity USED TO require conversion by an outside program of FLAC to WAV, which is the format in which the program actually functions; but the newest versions do the FLAC-to-WAV conversion by themselves.

I thought it odd that for a while, Audacity would EXPORT to FLAC but not IMPORT FLAC.

huh, you learn something new everyday... I'm not a huge fan of audacity, my studio only uses Steinberg software (ie: cubase, wavelab) and the versions I have do not support flac natively.. maybe it's time to dish out some cash for the new updates....
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm

My player of choice is now jRiver Media Center. Hard part with that package is finding something it CAN'T do ... it's got a LOT of options I'll personally never use, and a couple missing that I whine about every now and then at the forum, but I went thru a few before I settled on MC.

Ripped all my CDs to FLAC some time ago and am slowly working my way thru the stacks of albums. CDs wer easy - just cycle them thru the drive and MC automatically does it's thing with tagging and adding them to the "library". I've got a good system for ripping vinyl too ... turntable plugs into an external stage (currently a DJ PRE II) which feeds a dbx SNR-1 (noise reduction to drop the noise floor) then out to a Maverick TubeMagic DAC, and into the computer. There SoundForge gets a workout - normalize - clip restoration - noise reduction (vinyl default). I rip entire album sides and then cut the tracks, saving those to uncompressed WAV. I still get a few clicks and pops here and there on the rougher material, but that's part of the game. Too much processing and you start to lose real music. With my rips, it's all there, and arguably better sounding than direct CD rips of identical material, mostly because some ham handed engineer do it dirty back when everything was being converted to CD. Some real nasty digital stuff out their.

I use the same folder structure as Media Center, so MC automatically imports them into the "library". If I'm lucky, MC finds a match online and adds track numbers, cover art, and all the rest of the tags. Manually add tracks to playlists and such as needed.

Anyway ... nothing difficult, just time consuming, as the vinyl rips are one to one time ratio.

PS ... I still buy vinyl when it's available. The FLAC library is a convenience thing - I'll still spin vinyl regularly because it just sounds better.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Really excited to try the HD FLAC but I don't seem to be having much luck, I'm using Mac mini with a Dragon fly DAC (wondering how the Schitt compares at less than half the cost) I downloaded Winamp as suggested it appears to down load a blank or UN readable file and they dont transfer to Winamp not sure what I'm doing wrong any suggestions?
    Listening to my I tunes library on Winamp now with no issues.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 pm

jRiver just came out with a Mac version of their software. Free to try for 30 days ... looks like it's stable now.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=31.0

That would at least narrow down whether it's a hardware or software issue, and who knows, you might just like it.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

10 more tracks added ... same login as before ...

Check that site every week or so on a Monday or Tuesday ... I will try to put more tracks up. In time, because of storage limitations, I will have to take the older tracks down ..

Bob
    Rich
    Rich

Post by Rich Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Thank you again Bob!
    Windup
    Windup

Post by Windup Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:57 pm

FLACs are awesome! Play my FLACs over my network from a common host. Been using them for years and never appreciated the quality until I started upgrading my audio gear. The DAC was the most significant change.

I use Cog as a player. You can use it to rip CDs to FLAC files, too. handy if your local library lends CDs. Cog is very thin and reliable. Never a resource issue if you make sure you Renice the Cog process to a higher priority.
    Tom

Post by Tom Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 am

Wow! How cool is this!?!
    I've been wanting to try FLACs but just haven't gotten around to it.
    Thanks Bob!
    Ordering my Modi today.
    cheers
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Tom wrote:Wow! How cool is this!?!
    I've been wanting to try FLACs but just haven't gotten around to it.
    Thanks Bob!
    Ordering my Modi today.
    cheers

The only thing about the Schitt Modi is that (I believe) it won't do (decode) 24 bit @ 192 KHz files. Some HD files I have are 24 bit @ 192 KHz.

Bob
    Tom

Post by Tom Wed May 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Now ya tell me Razz
    No worries! Thanks again.
    Tom
    Tom

Post by Tom Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am

Follow on question, will Winamp downsample a 24/192 to 24/96?
    I looked around and didn't find a good answer, thought one of you gentlemen might know.
    Thanks!
    Tom

anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

Tom,

I'm using an older copy of Winamp (5.03) and I use it to play 24/96 flac files. Don't know about 24/192. Sounded pretty darn good to my uncalibrated ears. Also, VLC media player works well. Plays just about any file, audio or video.

Tony
    Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Thu May 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Look at the graphs you to see the difference between 96 and 192 kHz.

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Image

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads Image

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:32 pm