The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+19
DarthBubba
harpy
Blitzen
bigsmall
arledgsc
Sprags
Pillo69
Tom
Windup
Maintarget
dubplatecutter
charlief64
GP49
sKiZo
anbitet66
hawaii.ken
buchela
Rich
Bob Latino
23 posters

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Tom

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads - Page 2 Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by Tom Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

Pillo, you got some 'splainin' to do.(?)
    I see difference but what am I looking at?
    Edjamakate me.
    GP49

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads - Page 2 Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by GP49 Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 am

For one thing, the 24 bit @ 96 KHz FLAC has audio energy up to 48KHz; the 24 bit @ 192 KHz FLAC has audio energy up to 96KHz. Is this real musical information, or distortion products? Ask a bat...
    Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 pm

The program does a scan on the music file and gives you the graph, does not act with sound recording function.
    The program is free http://spek.cc/
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Coming on Monday, May 13th - "Best of The Eagles" .... 18 HD tracks in 24 bit @ 192 Khz ...

Already Gone - The Eagles
    Desperado - The Eagles
    Heartache Tonight - The Eagles
    Hotel California - The Eagles
    I Can't Tell You Why - The Eagles
    In The City - The Eagles
    Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles
    Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles
    New Kid In Town - The Eagles
    One Of These Nights - The Eagles
    Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles
    Take It Easy - The Eagles
    Take It To The Limit - The Eagles
    Tequila Sunrise - The Eagles
    The Best Of My Love - The Eagles
    The Long Run - The Eagles
    Wasted Time - The Eagles
    Witchy Woman - The Eagles

Note - The other tracks up there now will be coming down due to space limitations. If you haven't downloaded them as yet, do so before Monday because those 30 tracks will be gone by noon (Eastern time) on Monday.

Bob
    Tom

Post by Tom Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Bob - really had fun with the tracks you put up.

My youngest and I listened today to anything we had in FLAC, CD and vinyl
    so we could A, B, C them.

He liked the FLAC the best (no pops), I liked the vinyl.
    Even blind, the CDs kept losing.

Not the best system in the world by far:
    Denon CD player, Technics turntable, Schiit Modi for the FLACs; with
    homebuilt SP-8 and homebuilt ChipAmp to Totem Acoustic Forests for all.

Ya, you can surely hear the difference.
    Thanks for putting these up.
    I probably would have never taken the plunge otherwise.

Tom
    Tom

Post by Tom Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add.
    The files you have labeled 24/192 play fine
    through WinAmp and the Schiit Modi with no problems.
    I presume that the software recognizes
    that the device can't handle that speed
    and cuts it back to something appropriate?

Sounds good regardless.

Tom

Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Your killing me Bob it's not the 13th yet......... Crying or Very sad
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun May 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Maintarget wrote:Your killing me Bob it's not the 13th yet......... Crying or Very sad

I had some time tonight so I though I would put up at least some of these tracks early ..

I will try to put up some new tracks every Monday morning - but - tonight the wife is over visiting her mother and I had some time tonight ...

Bob
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun May 12, 2013 10:31 pm

I down loaded about 25 files went and eat diner came back and they was a few new files.
    Thanks for doing this!
    PS: I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to visit your mother in law Very Happy
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 am

tonight the wife is over visiting her mother and I had some time

Wow! What a great Lady!
    Be sure to let her know how much WE
    appreciate her!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads - Page 2 Empty Sound City documentary

Post by Bob Latino Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 am

I don't know whether any of the Forum members have heard of the legendary Sound City recording studio in Van Nuys, CA. This studio started business in 1969 and continued recording until 2011. Many recording artists like to record there because the dimensions of the room and the wall and floor coverings provided high quality sound from any group that recorded there. It was said that no other studio in the world allowed drums to sound as good. They also had a custom mixing board. Information in the video says that only 3 or 4 of these special mixing boards were made. See link below for more info on this studio.

Sound City Studios

Who recorded at Sound City Studios is like a "who's who" of some of the best recording artists of the 1970's and 1980's. On the Skydrive music link is a 700 Mb video documentary about Sound City Studios.

To view the video first download the video and then use a video player like VLC player that can play a video with AC3 6 channel sound. I don't believe that you can just play the video directly online like a Youtube video. If you try to use Windows media player or most software video players on your computer, you get a video but NO SOUND. Also - For the first minute or so of the video there is no sound as they just flash lead in info about the video. After one minute or so, you should get sound also. (Skydrive log in info is on the first post in this thread)

Bob
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu May 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Since I have some Eagles HD tracks up there this week, I also put up the "rockumentary" video > "History of the Eagles" This is a 1.1 gig 3 hour long mp4 video which shows the history of the Eagles from 1971 to the present day. There is a lot of 1970's footage that has never been seen before. Older performances and behind the scenes stuff. The video is brutally honest about why the Eagles broke up in 1980 and then reformed again in 1994. IMHO, this is one of the best rocumentary videos ever made. Use the login in the first post on this thread and remember to hit "Shared" on the left side of the screen after you log in. NOTE - This video may be either downloaded OR played directly online. The quality of the video is good - use the full screen mode by double clicking on the video itself or just hit the full screen icon on the lower right of the video.

Bob
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Fri May 17, 2013 9:25 pm

How about some acoustic jazz or blues and maybe some some songs with female jazz singers?

And by the way thank you for the ones you've already posted.

Last edited by Sprags on Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addendum)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Blake,

Next Monday ... some jazz ...

Bob
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Monday is technically May 20th at 12:00 am........
    LOL Laughing
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sat May 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Really enjoying listening to the Flac files now that I figured out how to convert them to ALAC so they can be played using my MAC Mini, AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC, BIT Perfect and free conversion from (http://ma.ttevans.co.uk/articles/how-to-convert-flac-files-into-alac-apple-lossless)
    Right now I'm playing through an old Pioneer SS amp until my ST-120 is complete.
    Thanks again Bob.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am

Thank you Bob! I have the Hotel California album at 96kHz sampling rate and it is just amazing how much better 192kHz sounds. My friends scoff at the idea but proof is in the listening. Huge sound stage, less edginess on the highs, and more detail in the mix. Its laughable but my old BMG Music Eagles greatest hits CD sounds like cassette tape in comparison. After 30 years digital music has finally caught up and surpassed vinyl IMHO.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

arledgsc wrote:Thank you Bob! I have the Hotel California album at 96kHz sampling rate and it is just amazing how much better 192kHz sounds. My friends scoff at the idea but proof is in the listening. Huge sound stage, less edginess on the highs, and more detail in the mix. Its laughable but my old BMG Music Eagles greatest hits CD sounds like cassette tape in comparison. After 30 years digital music has finally caught up and surpassed vinyl IMHO.

Yes - with good gear and good ears most people can tell the difference betwee 24 bit @ 192 KHz and 24 bit @ 96 KHz. Nearly always, EITHER 24 bit FLAC file will sound better than a standard CD version (16 bit @ 44.1 KHz) of the same music. The 192 KHz music is harder to find though? Maybe because the file sizes are larger on 192 Khz music, companies and individuals are less likely to make up the 192 KHz FLAC files ?

Bob
    bigsmall

Post by bigsmall Sat May 25, 2013 7:01 am

THANK U BOB. U ARE SUPER
    Blitzen
    Blitzen

Post by Blitzen Sun May 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks, Bob. That's some choice stuff!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am

I have had a few people Email me about what "kinds" of tracks are put up. I only have here jazz and classic rock/pop tracks. I do not have any classical tracks or modern pop music. What I will be doing is alternating on a weekly basis jazz tracks with classic rock/pop tracks.

Every Sunday or Monday there will be new tracks until I run out of tracks ....

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

Bob...I just figured you knew what kind of music I liked. Smile
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I tried some HD Tracks, but was wondering where do they get the extra music information. Most of the stuff I like comes AAD. If the CD is already showing the limitations of the original tape recording is there any reason to go with a 96/24 recording for older music? I could see on DDD music where it would have the extra information.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Some of the earlier audio that is on tape can have the sound improved if the original master tape is REmastered and then digitized to 24 bit @ higher sampling rates than CD's 44.1 KHz. Some of the Eagles stuff that I had up there a couple of weeks ago sounds so much better remastered and digitized to 24 bit @ 192 KHz. You are correct though in that SOME of the earlier recordings that have been remastered etc. don't really sound any better than earlier CD versions.

On another note .. I had someone Email me and ask "How the HD tracks are made?" there are two ways that I know.

1. From SACD's. Now I know that no SACD player will output the digital stream over the digital out - BUT - some hackers found out that certain models of the Sony PS3 (Playstation 3) player made in about 2006 or 2007 are SACD compatible AND can have their operating system "reworked" to output SACD in the digital domain as PCM. The PCM digital output is then made into 24 bit HD files. Sony has closed the loophole on the more recent PS3 players and they are now no longer SACD compatible. NOTE - THIS way IMHO is the best way to create a high quality HD track.

2. From high quality vinyl. If you send the analog signal from your phono preamp to the RCA inputs of your computer, you can use a FREE program like Audacity to change the analog signal to a digital signal. Those who do this usually have very expensive turntables/ phono preamps etc. and the result is very good.

Just recently, some SACD players will now send an SACD digital stream over the HDMI cable to your receiver. Previously it had only been the Dolby Digital or DTS track that was on movies being played that was sent in the digital domain. Those players, however, would not send the SACD DSD digital stream to the player's digital out OR over the HDMI cable. I am sure that someone will figure out soon how to use the SACD DSD stream as sent over HDMI to create HD tracks.

Bob
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Bob Latino wrote:2. From high quality vinyl. If you send the analog signal from your phono preamp to the RCA inputs of your computer, you can use a FREE program like Audacity to change the analog signal to a digital signal. Those who do this usually have very expensive turntables/ phono preamps etc. and the result is very good.
    Last month I was searching for something on you tube and I ran into a video of someone auditioning some HiFi equipment using Adele's "Lovesong" as the source. I was impressed so I searched for a FLAC version and the only FLAC version I could find was a vinyl rip.

Those vinyl rips of Adele's 19 & 21 albums are a perfect example of how NOT to do a vinyl rip. I can actually hear the rubber wheel of the rim-drive turntable. Ignoring the poor quality turntable the overall sound quality of the vinyl rips led me to purchase both albums.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 am