The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Zimmer64
davidness
6 posters

Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area

davidness
    davidness

Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area Empty Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area

Post by davidness Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:32 pm

I have a VTA ST-120 built by Bob Latino himself in need of repair, and the diagnostics and repair is beyond my ability. I live in the Port Charlotte/Sarasota/Tampa Florida area. The problem may be related to a bad cap, or something entirely different (see? I don't know).

I want a highly experienced, qualified tech to go through it and make it more reliable rock solid reliable. I don't want to ship. I will deliver the unit to you and pick up. I also want a number of tubes checked out, so you'd have to be experienced with a tube tester.

Contact me:

David Ness
    david@davidness.net
    941-914-4041

Thanks!
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area Empty Re: Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area

Post by Zimmer64 Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

You may want to try to find a guitar amp shop in your vicinity. Or you can try with the help of this forum to track down the issue yourself.

Hope you get it sorted.

Michael
    sailor

Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area Empty Re: Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area

Post by sailor Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:35 pm

I lived in Clearwater in the 1989 and had a Adcom GFA555 modified by Wavetrace Technologies. I think this is the same place. If this is the same guy he is really sharp. Fixing your amp would be easy for him. He may even figure some simple ways to improve the sound.
    http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/us/fl/largo/wavetrace-technology-reviews-154543.htm
    davidness
    davidness

Post by davidness Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Wavetrace Technologies appears to be out of business. Phone number no longer works.
    sailor

Post by sailor Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm

To bad. What is the exact nature of your problem? Because it was a working Amp. it should be fairly easy to figure out what the problem is and it may be an easy fix. Of course if it got hit by one of Tampa's famed lighting storms it may be a little more complicated. I am willing to help you diagnose the problem and there are several others on this board that are just as knowledgeable [maybe more] that are willing to help you find and fix the problem.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Looking for repair of VTA ST120 in Tampa/Sarasota Florida area Empty Tech in Florida

Post by DynakitParts Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 pm

David,
    Try contacting Tom Tutay of Transition Audio Design in Ft. Walton Beach, FL

PH # 850-244-3041........Tom knows Dynaco stuff real well. I have sold him parts over the years
    and he is a nice guy to deal with. Looks like a (6) hour drive from the Tampa area.

Kevin @ Dynakit
    tomlang

Post by tomlang Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Sometimes reading many posts on different forums results in a "hit". Read this thread. Guy says he is in Tampa...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=549620
    davidness
    davidness

Post by davidness Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:17 pm

sailor wrote:...I am willing to help you diagnose the problem and there are several others on this board that are just as knowledgeable [maybe more] that are willing to help you find and fix the problem.
    Thanks for all the responses. I think you're right in that I need to attempt to repair the unit myself first with the assistance of this group. This weekend, when I have time, I'll start a new thread by first posting detailed pictures of the internal wiring, and with clear explanations of what's going on. I am handy, and have a multimeter and soldering stuff, but no capacitance meter or tube tester. But let's see how far we can get first before I resort to shipping this off somewhere. Thanks again!

David Ness
    rockinrob86

Post by rockinrob86 Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm

I sent you an email. I am in Tampa and work on tube amps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am