The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Zimmer64
ramon68
Laminarman
7 posters

After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source

Laminarman

After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source Empty After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source

Post by Laminarman Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Question states it all. If you were given the choice after your amp and speakers, what would have the most impact? CD vs vinyl or tube vs transistor amp? I am not sure I know so it's not a rhetorical question.
    ramon68

After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source Empty Re: After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source

Post by ramon68 Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 am

Turntable/tonearm interface is where it all starts. Superb turntable bearing hard coupled to the arm system so as to minimize losses in groove tracing.
    If you don't get the information out of the groove properly, it doesn't matter how much you spend down stream.

After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source Empty Re: After the amp and speakers, what has the greatest effect on sound: pre-amp or source

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 am

With regard to your question I think the source makes a bigger difference tun a preamp. What you do not put in in the first place, you won't get out of the speakers at the end. But then it also depends on other factors as mentioned before. My SP 14 preamp made a big difference, the CD player a smaller difference. I also like to agree with PeterCapo on the room acoustics. Here is a little guide on placement of speakers and acoustics: http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html . Here a bit more from Linkwitz: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm

Have fun

Michael
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 am

Thank you guys. I'm trying to plot out my next moves. This is for a secondary "stereo" only system in another room. I am breaking in the ST70 now and enjoying it. The Tannoys I have now are staying put in the theater setup. So I will need speakers, pre-amp and source. Not sure what to turn to next. Considering the Parasound Halo 5 or one of Roy's preamps. Looking at Tyler Acoustics for speakers, BW, Klipsch perhaps. I'm just not sure the order to go in as I move forward. Seems to me it makes no sense to do anything until the amp is suitably broken in, but a google search shows wide variations on how long that takes. From an hour to 200 hours, with most of the results I found saying fewer rather than more.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 pm

I like to think that every componant you choose will have a sonic signature. Take care in your room to minimize early reflections with sound absorbing panels. I like ATS Acoustics as they are well made and not too expensive. If you want a clear and focused sound then this is vital.

While digital sources are becoming cheaper and better sounding with time, analog sources need a little more thought and care for best results.

There is a lot of debate as to what componants and techniques are necessary. Whatever you use for attenuating the signal will have a dramatic effect be it passive or active line stages. Tube preamps in my opinion are superior although I have heard some excellent solid state preamps but they come with a higher cost.

After all of that it's more details details details. There are lots of little things you can do to minimize noise interference such as keeping signal cables away from power cables. A good solid stand for your electonics to minimize external vibrations and their effects. Proper speaker placement is very important and takes some effort and patience.

Your choice of power, interconnect, and speaker cables can have a small but significant effect although there is much debate about this. Tread carefully.

In the end every piece of the puzzle when combined will produce a sound that hopefully satisfies your brain and allows you to then forget about the equipment and focus on the music you love.
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm

corndog71 wrote:I like to think that every componant you choose will have a sonic signature.  Take care in your room to minimize early reflections with sound absorbing panels.  I like ATS Acoustics as they are well made and not too expensive.  If you want a clear and focused sound then this is vital.

While digital sources are becoming cheaper and better sounding with time, analog sources need a little more thought and care for best results.

There is a lot of debate as to what componants and techniques are necessary.  Whatever you use for attenuating the signal will have a dramatic effect be it passive or active line stages.  Tube preamps in my opinion are superior although I have heard some excellent solid state preamps but they come with a higher cost.

After all of that it's more details details details.  There are lots of little things you can do to minimize noise interference such as keeping signal cables away from power cables.  A good solid stand for your electonics to minimize external vibrations and their effects.  Proper speaker placement is very important and takes some effort and patience.

Your choice of power, interconnect, and speaker cables can have a small but significant effect although there is much debate about this.  Tread carefully.

In the end every piece of the puzzle when combined will produce a sound that hopefully satisfies your brain and allows you to then forget about the equipment and focus on the music you love.

Thanks Corndog. I think my room will be the biggest challenge. I can do panels but have ONE major obstacle. My wife. I hear you loud and clear about interconnects. I switched and re-switched my Cardas interconnects with Audio Classics $20 cables and I'll be darned if I can hear any difference. It's not scientific, but if I can't hear it, I can't hear it. As a matter of fact, the guys at Audio Classics routinely recommend $50 to $100 interconnects for even $50,000 systems saying the differences are not noticeable. I know this is deep water with no bottom. I will choose to put my money into speakers. Thanks again.
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Laminarman wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:

Your choice of power, interconnect, and speaker cables can have a small but significant effect although there is much debate about this.  Tread carefully.

Thanks Corndog.  I think my room will be the biggest challenge.  I can do panels but have ONE major obstacle.  My wife.  I hear you loud and clear about interconnects.  I switched and re-switched my Cardas interconnects with Audio Classics $20 cables and I'll be darned if I can hear any difference.  It's not scientific, but if I can't hear it, I can't hear it.  As a matter of fact, the guys at Audio Classics routinely recommend $50 to $100 interconnects for even $50,000 systems saying the differences are not noticeable.  I know this is deep water with no bottom.  I will choose to put my money into speakers.  Thanks again.  

I'm one of those who don't think interconnects are that important. When I first started to get into expensive stereo, I bought a bunch of Kimber PBJ interconnects Kimber 4TC speaker cable -- sort of expensive (~90$ per interconnect pair), but I wanted something decent. Since then, I've gone through a bunch of more 'audiophile' interconnects and speaker cable, but eventually, all the Kimber went back in my system.

I would agree with some other comments that your phono setup is pretty important. I don't have a great turntable (it's a Rega with an external power supply), but it is set up well, and I have a decent phono amp.

And..this may sound facile, but: I haven't always had the best stereo, but I've always had a bunch of music that I really enjoyed listening to. For me, that's the most important thing.
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:22 pm

An audio system is a chain that is as strong as its weakest link. There is no hard and fast answer that would apply to everybody as to what component is the most critical - the key lies in identifying the weak link. That's why we hobbyists are always churning our gear into different combinations.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:46 am

dougmon wrote:
    I'm one of those who don't think interconnects are that important. When I first started to get into expensive stereo, I bought a bunch of Kimber PBJ interconnects Kimber 4TC speaker cable -- sort of expensive (~90$ per interconnect pair), but I wanted something decent. Since then, I've gone through a bunch of more 'audiophile' interconnects and speaker cable, but eventually, all the Kimber went back in my system.

I would agree with some other comments that your phono setup is pretty important. I don't have a great turntable (it's a Rega with an external power supply), but it is set up well, and I have a decent phono amp.

And..this may sound facile, but: I haven't always had the best stereo, but I've always had a bunch of music that I really enjoyed listening to. For me, that's the most important thing.

Yep. I'm a big fan of Kimber 4TC and 4VS speaker cables. I use PBJ in a pinch but prefer my own braided interconnects using cotton insulated wire by Homegrownaudio.
    Tom

Post by Tom Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:10 am

in my experience it's
    speakers>preamp>poweramp>source
    with the presumption that most decent cd players are in fact
    pretty decent
    all bets off when vinyl becomes involved
    as well as high dollar interconnects and of course
    the Wattgate381

current: totem forest>SP-8>chipamp>technics1200
    no fancy interconnects
    and I'm of course saving up for my wattgate...
    Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 am