The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope

Tom

Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope Empty Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope

Post by Tom Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Got an old Heathkit tube oscope from a guy who was throwing it out.
    Doesn't work but I have schematics, another project wheeee!!!  
    Best of all, it has a pair of 12AU7s:  
    "Daystrom, manufactured by Mullard"
    "made in Great Britain"
    Can't have too many hours on them since it's just an oscope, right?  
    Wonder what they sound like? Gonna find out.  
    Smile

Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope <a href=Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope P1010111" />
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope Empty Re: Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope

Post by Bob Latino Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi Tom,

Those are Mullard tubes .. NOTE - There are still original "Mullard 12AU7's" out there for sale as the military Mullard CV4003. I have two Mullard CV4003's as the front driver tube on my M-125 monoblocks. A few vendors still carry these and also some original Mullard 12AU7's. Upscale Audio carrys the original Mullard 12AU7's at least at the time that I am writing this. Link below ..

Interesting factoid > Most Mullard CV4003's do not say "Mullard" on either the tube or the box. They instead say "Valve Electronic" on the tube and the box. The reason is that during WW2 if a British piece of gear with tubes in it was captured by the Germans the British did not want to let out the fact that these tubes were made by Mullard. If they did the Mullard factory would then be put high on the list of where the Germans would be bombing next ..

Original Mullard 12AU7's @ Upscale Audio

Bob

Billwitt1 likes this post

Tom

Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope Empty Re: Tube but not necessarily audio related - old Heathkit o-scope

Post by Tom Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks for the info and fun fact Bob. I Love This Place!

Put them in last night for a quick listen,
    replaced a pair of NOS RCA cleartops
    and played some good vinyl.

First and most importantly, they worked.

Second, I've been reading a lot of audiophile stuff so I'll try to uses the vernacular
    and say the sound stage sounded less staged,
    the cymbals were even more symbolic,
    the violins more violent,
    and the horn section was even...
    Um, Ok, scratch that.

Maybe more bass? Hard to say without being able to A / B them.
    Voices seemed extra nice but Bonnie Raitt always sounds like that.

Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 am