The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
arledgsc
Elrick
gener8r
mantha3
Bob Latino
ramon68
audiobill
11 posters

Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers

Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers - Page 2 Empty Re: Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers

Post by Cubdriver Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 am

Nice work on those amps!  Beautiful!

I'm getting the 'build something' itch again, and think a pair of M-125s will be causing flames & smoke to issue forth from my CC in the very near future.  I'm likely to continue my adventures in powder coating, though, rather than going with wood trim.  Thinking perhaps translucent red on the transformer end bells, and possibly a grey for the chassis (rather than leaving it bare SS).  It will hopefully be a smoother process after learning some of the quirks on the ST-70 back in Feb.

-Pat
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers - Page 2 Empty Re: Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers

Post by sKiZo Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Google "big knobs" and see what ya get ... Shocked

Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers - Page 2 Installed-018

I went digging deep for these when doing my ST120 build. Came with some high end Mallory controls way back when - including the graduation dials. Nice find I thought.

deepee99 wrote:The trick is, and MontanaWay has sussed,, is to build a sufficient ground-plane into the chassis. You can't ground to wood, so there has to be a lot of metal "under the hood" so to speak to keep noise and transients at bay.

Keeping that in mind, I considered using metal duct tape on the inside surfaces of my wood side panels. Didn't, and no issues.

One thing I do have on my tweak list next time I get under the hood is grounding the choke coils. That's normally not an issue on a metal chassis, but I just screwed them into the wood. Amp is dead quiet as is, but ya never know ... simple eyelet and strap to common ground should do the trick.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:16 pm

SKIZO,
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Oh wait, I forgot. You're a bottle-head. Tear that baby apart.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Fix I must!

Going woodie. MontanaWay's modified M-125s, the Big Boppers - Page 2 Yoda
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 pm

May the Force be with you, with all of its 600 VDC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:07 am