The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
skriefal
Tube Nube
Tom
GP49
Doctor Hugocat
GreggW
Bob Latino
11 posters

Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD Empty Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD

Post by Bob Latino Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:16 pm

The Chinese are at it again .. On Ebay and some other web sites you will see some info on the Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer. Claims are made that this $50 - $75 unit makes your hard sounding solid state amp into smoother "tube sounding" amp. It has one 6N3 dual triode tube. The tube lights up but the tube is not in the circuit. The tube just has a filament connection which makes it light up. Watch the Youtube video below. All the parts in this "preamp" are useless because at about 1:07 on the video he pulls the power cord and the preamp continues to play .. At about 1:32 the fellow pulls out the tube and the Little Bear does not "go into hibernation", it continues to play ! The reason you can't kill the sound is that the only thing working is the volume control. What a rip-off! This unit is just a volume control with a bunch of fake parts on the PC board. I can't believe how many people were probably ripped off when they bought this unit.

Bob
    GreggW
    GreggW

Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD Empty Re: Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD

Post by GreggW Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Another YouTube review by a guitar player states his sound is "a little bit better" with the Little Bear. Wonder what he was smokin'....
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD Empty Re: Chinese Little Bear P6 preamp/tube buffer FRAUD

Post by Bob Latino Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:32 pm

GreggW wrote:Another YouTube review by a guitar player states his sound is "a little bit better" with the Little Bear. Wonder what he was smokin'....

Yes - All the "increase in audio quality" was no doubt in his mind ...

Bob
    Doctor Hugocat
    Doctor Hugocat

Post by Doctor Hugocat Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Oh boy......thanks for the thread! I'm a bass player and some of the fakes and low quality replica instruments coming out of China have to be seen to be believed.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:38 am

Some quotes from audiophile-land about the Little Bear P6:

> ...in the midrange, vocals move forward. There's an emphasis applied
    > to vocals, baritone through soprano. Also, throughout the entire
    > range there sounded like some phase variation that was pleasing for
    > the most part.

> ...After listening through this tube pre-amp then going back to pure
    > digital, the digital source sounded more accurate, more mechanical,
    > more formulaic, less artistic and a little too perfect. The tube had
    > a sort of live performance quality, a little imperfection that gave
    > the sound character.

> ...The soundstage really opened up and I am quite happy with my
    > purchase.

> ...I bought this about a month ago and I have to say that I am pretty
    > impressed. The only concern that I have is how long it will last? The
    > tubes are too awfully close to the electrolytic capacitors and we all
    > know the hotter it is, the faster the electrolytic capacitors will
    > fail. I changed the stock 6N3 to JAN GE 5670 and it improved the
    > separation, improved the sound staging and makes listening more
    > enjoyable. Been listening to the 5670 for more than 2 weeks comparing
    > it once in a while to the 6N3, no competition at all.. the 5670 wins.
    > I agree with sdcz.. Two days ago I received an EZ80 to 6Z4 adaptor,
    > which enables me to use my Marconi EZ80 to replace the stock 6Z4
    > rectifier tube. I was not expecting anything substantial, but it
    > really made a lot of difference: The soundstage width remains the
    > same but the depth is improved; Separation is better, I can very
    > clearly hear now the layering of Sade's voice in "Mr Wrong"; and the
    > instruments sounds more natural.. at least to my ears...

P.T. Barnum would be proud!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks GP for posting those "glowing reviews" of the Little Bear P6. We did have an earlier post from January of 2011 showing how some Chinese manufacturers were faking capacitors with a small capacitor inside a larger case. Link below ..

Fake Chinese capacitors

The Chinese also fake more expensive tubes .. See link below ..

Fake Chinese tubes

If anyone else has found any fake Chinese components post the links or photos in this thread ....

Bob
    Tom

Post by Tom Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:40 am

The reason this preamp can continue playing AFTER it's unplugged
    is that it was PREVIOUSLY plugged into a Wattgate 381.
    After the initial plug in to the Wattgate,
    no further power is required to operate your device.
    Typical newbie reviewer misteak (sic).
    Very Happy
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 am

Tom wrote:The reason this preamp can continue playing AFTER it's unplugged
    is that it was PREVIOUSLY plugged into a Wattgate 381.
    After the initial plug in to the Wattgate,
    no further power is required to operate your device.  
    Typical newbie reviewer misteak (sic).
    Very Happy

Thanks, Tom.  I had not looked in at the Amazon.com customer reviews for the Wattgate in too long a time, and once I did, I had a rollicking good time reading them.  Something to consider, though: users of the $150 Wattgate should realize that their AC power must also pass through the outlet plate.  How many are pairing their $150 Wattgate with a 69 cent plastic wallplate, with unknown dielectric characteristics, from the hardware store?  Bob, you are missing an opportunity here.  There must be billions of audiophiles just waiting to throw handsful of cash at a perfectionist-grade outlet plate!
    Doctor Hugocat
    Doctor Hugocat

Post by Doctor Hugocat Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Hang on though, there may be some good science behind these units. Heard of the Hall Effect and the Doppler Effect? This uses the Placebo Effect.

Actually I'm considering going into production with a new version: positively guaranteed 10x more improvement to your sound than the original Little Bear.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Doctor Hugocat wrote:Hang on though, there may be some good science behind these units. Heard of the Hall Effect and the Doppler Effect? This uses the Placebo Effect.

Actually I'm considering going into production with a new version: positively guaranteed 10x more improvement to your sound than the original Little Bear.

Ten times more improvement?  You should, in the best audio marketing tradition, charge a hundred times more.

Last edited by GP49 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:23 am

Th Emperor's new pre amp. If you can t hear its virtue, you're unworthy.

Last edited by Tube Nube on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 am

Doctor Hugocat wrote:This uses the Placebo Effect.

It has plenty of company in the audiophile "tweak" world.
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Kudos to Bob, Roy, and Kevin for keeping American made tube audio on the move, Shannon Parks deserves some credit too! these Chinese "look a-likes" are simply " money-making" schemes to appeal to tube audio nostalgia of the classics!
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:00 pm

They are scoundrels! I'll stop myself there.
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:55 pm

GreggW wrote:Another YouTube review by a guitar player states his sound is "a little bit better" with the Little Bear. Wonder what he was smokin'....

These are the same audiophools that will pay $300 for a power cord that runs from the wall socket to their amp. Never mind that pesky unshielded wire in the wall.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:35 pm

I know most folks on this forum don't buy into the hi priced audiophool speaker cableage, but some  are fans of those hi fi power cords.

I've not seen any discussion that attempted to address the reality that the AC wires in the wall are pretty humble, inexpensive, simple, "non-directional" (isn't that the funniest hi fi wire claim yet? Directionality?!). How is an audiofile power cord to improve on what 10 gauge Romex delivers to it?

Some of them sure do look good, though.

I try not to judge a speaker wire, nor a book, by it's cloth-bound cover.

Women, however, I still make certain judgments. ;-)
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:00 am

Tubes4ever wrote:

These are the same audiophools that will pay $300 for a power cord that runs from the wall socket to their amp.  Never mind that pesky unshielded wire in the wall.

But what do you then connect your $300 power cord to?

Why, of course, a Furutech FI-33R Rhodium 20A IEC Inlet, for $124.99  affraid  at http://www.vhaudio.com/connectors-ac.html

It never ends!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:54 am

Tube Nube wrote:How is an audiofile power cord to improve on what 10 gauge Romex delivers to it?

Most of the wiring in newer USA homes is 14 gauge or 12 gauge Romex. Sometimes an audiophile may have a dedicated 10 gauge (30 amp rated) line put in for his audio system. This larger capacity AC line won't magically make your audio system any better unless you have many power hungry components on a standard 14 gauge (15 amp rated) line.

I agree also with what others have said about changing out wall outlets to $100+ "audio type" wall outlets. Behind that wall outlet you just have regular Romex wire (or BX wire if the house is old). How is that going to help your music system sound better ?

Bob
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:41 am

Doing a Google on this item and others that are total fakes has been an absolute hoot. It reminds me so much of our old shop teacher, who we trolled by telling him we needed to order some of those good old muffler bearings or high-speed bumper bolts....or putting a fake knob on a guitar or something so when that person in the audience or a club owner ragged you for being too loud at a gig you "turned" the knob and they nodded in agreement. Or gooing to "11" on your Marshall amp. I suppose if i did not know these things were fake I may look like a dummy, too, finding new nuances and warmth in my music....so much is in our mind or how we perceive things....
    jrubin
    jrubin

Post by jrubin Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Im sure at best a crappy AMP. Ill have to say, as this is a more highly informed group than the average consumer, that Id like to see an independent teardown from another person.
    There is a good chance that this unit was modified to make the video.... we cant be sure

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:15 am