The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
j beede
deepee99
Dave_in_Va
Tubes4ever
bluemeanies
Peter W.
corndog71
mcgyver74
12 posters

Auto Bias?

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Auto Bias? - Page 2 Empty Re: Auto Bias?

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm

seems like this thread took a huge left turn about halfway down.
    One of the problems with AutoBias, which is why I never added it to my amps, is kind of like the problem that Curcio created with his regulated screens.
    Sounds like a good idea. But if you regulated the screens, and the B+ changes (which it does constantly, with the variable AC input from the nearest power pole)
    then it throws the circuit out of balance. Screens are stable and steady, everything else is changing.
    So AutoBias . . . only if the AutoBias is derived and based on the B+ voltage. I haven't seen one that is yet (it likely is on those high priced amps from China going for $4K instead of $1K).
    You take a $50 circuit running off the filament voltage, you may have stable and steady bias, but your B+, and screens, and cathodes are changing with the incoming AC.
    I'll keep my screwdriver and DVM handy, and keep the motorcycle, and forget about the WAF, thanks. BTW, my wife loves my tube gear !!!
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 pm

repeat
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:47 am

Seeing as how the new Dynaco ST-70 Mk 3 has an auto-bias capability how hard would it be to incorporate something like that into a VTA ST-70?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:04 pm