The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dyna PAS 3

Mark Korda

Dyna PAS 3 Empty Dyna PAS 3

Post by Mark Korda Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi,
    a friend of mine modded my Dyna PAS3 a while back. He took out the tone controls, the loudness and filter(scratch) switches. It does sound great. Looking at the diagram in the manual it looks like I could also remove the Tape/ Input switch and the 6 position spatial switch with the snips of the connecting wires. I really don't use those at all and was wondering if anyone else has done this to minimalize the complete circuit.
    Do you think it would be safe to eliminate these 2 things?....Thanks Mark Korda
    peterh
    peterh

Dyna PAS 3 Empty Re: Dyna PAS 3

Post by peterh Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Does the PAS sound more natural ( or less ) after the surgery ?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am

The PAS 3 X (emphasis on the X) version would benefit from a more rugged power-supply and careful recapping. The tone-controls are already out-of-circuit when centered.

I find the blend control useful.
    I find the extra positions on the selector switch useful (a second phono-input, for instance, with only minor tweaking of the Tape Head input).

So, upgrade the power-supply, clean the switches thoroughly. Match the caps channel-to-channel and use good-quality caps (no need for boutique stuff) and you will be fine.

The Non-X versions are a different story. Either seriously upgrade the pots, or cut them out of the circuit if that is what you feel you need. There used to be a gentleman out there that did an X-pot mod for installation in pre-X devices - I have not seen him around for a while. But that would be the better option if available.
    Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi to Peter, Pete, and Pierre,
    thanks for the comments and ideas. Peter from Sweden, my PAS came out of dormancy after with a less is more thinking I adopted when cd players came out I made my own passive. After years of changing preamps in and out I think the stripped down PAS wins. A cd of Sammy Davis live at the Coconut Grove is my best sounding cd, a test cd. 1963. The PAS reveils Sammy hocking up crap out of his throat before an explosive performance. I never heard that with the passive,Dynaco 35 powering. I think Sammy tried putting his hand over the mike, you can tell.
    Peter Capo I looked into the mod I was going to try and it is more involving than just clipping out the wires. After I heard from Peter W I think I will leave well enough alone. My switches are not in the PAS anymore. I made my own custom faceplate using the brass PAS 2 plate. The only picture I have is where it's in the middle of my rack 3 years ago......let me try for a picture and thanks Triple Petes....Mark.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm