The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Tube preamps

jrethorst

Tube preamps Empty Tube preamps

Post by jrethorst Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm generally very happy with a Mcintosh MX114 driving two Dynakit Mk 3 amps into AR3a speakers, but wonder if a tube phono preamp would make much difference. I don't want the latest or greatest, so I'm thinking of getting a Dyna PAS-something on eBay and trying its phono section, putting its Tape Out signal into the Mac for tone controls etc. IIRC from back in the day, the PAS3x was the same as the PAS3 except its tone controls were removed from the circuit in the flat position. Otherwise, I don't know the functional difference between PAS2 and PAS3, and something I've seen recently but don't remember from back in the day, but which looks like a PAS3, is just called PAS. What are the differences between the PAS2 and PAS3, and what's the PAS all about? Thanks.
    jrethorst

Tube preamps Empty Re: Tube preamps

Post by jrethorst Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:33 am

Bob's post of a 1965 Dyna catalog, which I hadn't seen before, shows that the PAS2 and PAS3 have identical circuitry. IIRC the PAS3x just had the "flat-out" tone controls. The only question left is, what was the "PAS" (no number).

I'm speaking of the old stuff, not the PAS3 series 2 or the PAS4.

Last edited by jrethorst on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi,

There is a thread already on this forum on some of the differences between the Dynaco PAS-2, PAS-3 and PAS-3X preamps. It is at the link below ..

Difference between Dynaco PAS-2, 3, 3X preamps

Bob
    jrethorst

Post by jrethorst Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Thank you Bob. I had searched for "PAS", "PAS-3X" etc. and did not find anything. I just searched again (using the first, small search box that pops up when you click Search at the top) and again found nothing. I then went to advanced search and used the same search terms, and found the thread you mention right away. Sorry I didn't try advanced search before. Feel free to delete this thread if you like. Thanks also for the excellent info in the post you referred to.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Tube preamps Empty Re: Tube Preamps

Post by Luddite Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 pm

[quote="jrethorst"]Bob's post of a 1965 Dyna catalog, which I hadn't seen before, shows that the PAS2 and PAS3 have identical circuitry.

If memory serves me, the only difference was cosmetic in that the PAS-2 had the earlier brass faceplate with brown plastic knobs, whereas the PAS-3 had the champagne color aluminum faceplate with metal knobs.

Charlie
    jrethorst

Post by jrethorst Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:50 am

[quote="bnc31"]
    jrethorst wrote:Bob's post of a 1965 Dyna catalog, which I hadn't seen before, shows that the PAS2 and PAS3 have identical circuitry.

If memory serves me, the only difference was cosmetic in that the PAS-2 had the earlier brass faceplate with brown plastic knobs, whereas the PAS-3 had the champagne color aluminum faceplate with metal knobs.
    Charlie

Ebay often has a Dyna "PAS" (without number), which looks like a PAS-3 or 3x. Is the PAS later, or just a rename of the PAS 3 or 3x? It's not shown in the sticky "Dyna's product numbering system".

Last edited by jrethorst on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Ebay often has a Dyna "PAS" (without number), which looks like a PAS-3 or 3x. Is the PAS later, or just a rename of the PAS 3 or 3x? It's not shown in the sticky "Dyna's product numbering system".[/quote]

Again, going by memory (a sometimes risky venture) I believe that "PAS" is the product category designation, with PAS-2, PAS-3, and PAS-3X being the model numbers. I don't recall any product with just "PAS" as the model number.

Charlie
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Charlie,

The original Dynaco preamp from 1957 was the PAM-1. The "M" stood for "MONAURAL". The "S" in the term "PAS" was later used to designate all the Dynaco "STEREO" preamps be it PAS-2, PAS-3 and PAS-3X. Even the later 1990's Panor Dynaco PAS-4 tube preamp continued the tradition with the "S" designation. The PAS-4 uses two 12AX7 tubes in the phono section and four 6DJ8's in the line section. I have only handled and listened to one PAS-4 but was very impressed by the sound and build quality of this preamp - it sounds noticeably better than the earlier PAS models. I was told that they were built in Taiwan for Panor of Japan and that not too many were sold in the USA. Rarely does one show up on Ebay and when they do they usually sell for $500 - $600 - maybe double the price of the PAS-2 or PAS-3.

Bob
    Luddite
    Luddite

Tube preamps Empty Dyna preamps

Post by Luddite Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks, Bob...very interesting information! And logical too!!

Charlie
    jrethorst

Post by jrethorst Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Tube preamps Dynapre2

This is from eBay, showing the designation PAS without a number. It looks just like a PAS-3 or 3x.
    fortherecord
    fortherecord

Post by fortherecord Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 pm

It seems like the later PAS 3(x) faceplates (70's vintage) had less of a champagne color and more of a silver color to them.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri May 29, 2009 1:20 am

The knobs changed, too, with the change to the -x models. Basically, earlier ones were splined, later ones were setscrew types.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm