The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
corndog71
Roy Mottram
6 posters

VTA tube preamps

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

VTA tube preamps Empty VTA tube preamps

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:19 pm

if there is anyone reading this post that does NOT have a VTA preamp, seriously, please send me an email or PM and let me know why.
    Not everyone has a VTA amp or preamp, but probably 95% of you have one or the other.
    But if you don't have at least one of each, I'd really like to know why.
    You seriously do NOT know what you are missing. If you've got some other combo, let me know that also.
    There are very few preamps available for under $4000 that are anywhere near as good sounding.
    Just send me a note - let me know why you may not have a VTA preamp. Maybe I can make you an offer you won't want to turn down . . .
    info@tubes4hifi.com
    corndog71
    corndog71

VTA tube preamps Empty Re: VTA tube preamps

Post by corndog71 Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:03 pm

I've been using a few Bottlehead preamps for over a decade as they always sounded great for the money. This year I decided to try something different and see if Roy's SP13 lived up to his claims. It uses his premium circuit but with 6CG7/6FQ7. While I did initially have some high voltage and hum issues I could already tell it sounded superior to my Bottlehead Smash preamp. After swapping a couple of resistors and rewiring my inputs it's now dead quiet. I recently picked up a pair of used AV123 Strata Minis and have been loving my rig the last week! I think I can eek out just a little more resolution by upgrading the crossover parts in the speakers but damn does it all sound good now!

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Corndog,
    nice . . . you know the old saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches" . . . well . . . in my case, there's no substitute for a VTA preamp, unless it costs about 10x as much.
    Bottleheads and Transcendence (GGP) users will always think they've got great stuff, until they try something better.
    One of my customers wrote . .
    " the SP 14 is not just "way better", it's stunningly better. Transcendent would never sell another GGP if customers heard this. It's truly a staggeringly good pre amp"

thanks to all who have sent me emails, most non-VTA preamp people are using DACs straight into a VTA amp, one uses a hi-end phono pre straight into a VTA amp,
    and a few others just needed a passive pre with a buffer, which is easy
    Bally

Post by Bally Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I've been building my Z-mod for the past eight years and still struggling with it. Same pre-amp
    you help me with the power supply.
    The VTA 70 that took nine years to build has been silent for the past six months.
    Hopefully in the next six months some sounds will come out from these things.
    In the meantime its depressing to look at.
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Well, I don't have a VTA pre-amp.  I use a Modwright LS-100.  But the VTA pres would probably do quite well, too... Smile
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Tubes4hifi and DYI have helped me achieve a life long goal of obtaining a hi end system that reproduces music that sounds real/live
    With amazing product support and this Forum I was able to successfully build both a ST-120 amp and SP-14 pre amp with only basic electronic skills which is testament to the instructions provided and this forum.
    While DIY probably isn't for everyone there is the option of purchasing assembled for a reasonable cost or enlisting one of the many capable individuals that frequent this forum.
    The cost to performance ratio is outstanding and represents value that is impossible to find in comparable products
    I'm not a compensated spokesperson just one of many satisfied customers that recognize an amazing product and enjoy the sweet sound produced.
    jimmytamp
    jimmytamp

Post by jimmytamp Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 pm

I have ST120 which I got in 2013 & SP12R/PH12 (2014) and really love 'em, and btw they still in good working conditions.

Cheers,
    Jimmy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:28 pm