The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
gktamps
StevieRay
Dogstar
7 posters

Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS

Dogstar

Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS Empty Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS

Post by Dogstar Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:45 pm

I have a Cary SL-100 that I’ve dedicated to my VTA ST-120 since getting it however I distinctly remember liking the sound of my setup with my McIntosh C36 preamp when I was in the process of working out a deal when the Cary hybrid tube preamp I had broke and they couldn’t fix it within the first 6 months of owning it. I forgot the model number. Today i decided to try out the Parasound P3 that I also have. It’s hard to determine which one sounds the best since I can’t switch from one to the other to the other quickly,

What have others discovered? Is anyone else using a commercially available preamp rather than the VTA preamps?
    StevieRay

Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS Empty Re: Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS

Post by StevieRay Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:52 am

I'm using a conrad-johnson PV10A -- purchased in 1995 -- with my VTA ST-120.

LOVE IT!

I've use the c-j through the years with hafler DH-200 (Musical Concepts modded), c-j MF 2250 (which I need to sell), and finally the VTA ST-120.  It performed well with any and all.

The c-j preamp has been trouble free -- just feed it some new tubes every 5 years or so, sometimes longer.

The c-j is of course no longer made, but they do popup on eBay from time to time.  Regarded as a "mellow" tube amp (sounds sort of 'tubey') but no problem to me -- sounds like music.  I cannot tolerate screechy exaggerated treble -- it burns my ears!

I've also used my old hafler DH-110 preamp with the VTA ST-120 without a problem.  'Sounded better than I thought it would...
    gktamps
    gktamps

Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS Empty Re: Commercially available Preamps ...Tube and SS

Post by gktamps Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 am

I've used Apt Holmans with my M-125s and the combination sounded great. Current preamp for 2 years is an Accuphase C-200, and that is a wonderful combination with these amps.
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm

I have 2 Quicksilver Full Function preamps. One drives my VTA-120 and the other drives a couple of VAC PA-160 mono blocks. Great Preamp with an excellent phono stage.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC/Preamp. I bought it used for a good price while it was still under warranty. Couldn't be happier.

Great product, but I understand Emotiva has moved away from making DACs, so this may be the last of its kind at this price-point.

It includes a solid headphone amp as well.  My only sources of music are Spotify or ripped CDs (outputted through Audirvana on a MacMini), so don't really need a full-function pre- with a phono stage or tone controls.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Parasound Halo P-5 with my ST-70. Very nice combo.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:04 pm

In addition to my SP14s (I have two) , I have a $10K Conrad Johnson et5.

Beyond features and overall case quality, not all that different in sonics.

Bill
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 pm

One other piece of audio equipment I have is a Tube Buffer from GlassWare Audio rather than a Preamplifier. At least I’m told by the friend that built it for me. He told me a tube buffer is not really a preamplifier. I’m not an electronics guy so I don’t understand exactly how they are differentiated. The one I have is the ACF-2. It sounds pretty good...and to me it seems that it did make the music sound a little nicer than the SS Preamp’s that I have.
    jimmeq
    jimmeq

Post by jimmeq Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm

A McIntosh C 28 (Restored) with my ST-120. Magical sound!

There's also a Crown IC 150A that I'll be trying out this Winter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:40 pm