The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Bob Latino
corndog71
jfine
7 posters

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility

slate1
    slate1

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility Empty VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility

Post by slate1 Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 pm

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my SP-13 Very Happy

In the meantime, because apparently I'm on a mission to set all my money on fire this quarter.... I'm looking at the PH16 as the next step. To that end, wondering if anyone can shed some light on the flexibility of the phono stage? I run MM cartridges and wondering about capacitive loading etc. - I notice there are a series of dip switches on the board, any input would be greatly appreciated. I know I could just shoot Roy an email, but I've been bugging the $#!+ out of him recently. Ha ha.
    jfine
    jfine

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility Empty Re: VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility

Post by jfine Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 pm

slate1 wrote:I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my SP-13 Very Happy

In the meantime, because apparently I'm on a mission to set all my money on fire this quarter.... I'm looking at the PH16 as the next step.  To that end, wondering if anyone can shed some light on the flexibility of the phono stage?  I run MM cartridges and wondering about capacitive loading etc. - I notice there are a series of dip switches on the board, any input would be greatly appreciated.  I know I could just shoot Roy an email, but I've been bugging the $#!+ out of him recently.  Ha ha.

You mean SP14?

The PH16 should have enough capacitance loading choices for your needs,

also can change the load from 47K to a few other options (68K and 33K, ~28 and 19 too I believe)

Depending on your abilities, you could do the PH16 yourself, and add cap mods on your own, that should get you 95% of the way there vs Don building it IMO.
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping.

No. I got the SP-13 - same circuit as the SP-14 but with 6CG7 tubes (RCA clear tops). Added the Khozmo 64 step remote volume and cap upgrades. Roy built it.
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 pm

slate1 wrote:Thanks!  That's exactly what I was hoping.

No. I got the SP-13 - same circuit as the SP-14 but with 6CG7 tubes (RCA clear tops).  Added the Khozmo 64 step remote volume and cap upgrades.  Roy built it.

Just curious, what made you go with the 6CG7's?
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:37 am

Personal preference really. I prefer them over the 6SN7 and the 6SN7s get pricey really quick. Seemed like s better fit for me.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:53 pm

I love my SP13! I too preferred the 6FQ7/6CG7 as they're not as popular as the 6SN7. Still the best tube preamp I've ever owned.
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:03 pm

jfine wrote:

I see my post has been pruned. Would be educational to know why.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:04 pm

jfine wrote:
    jfine wrote:

I see my post has been pruned. Would be educational to know why.

I have had problems with the forum's software since we started this forum in November of 2008. This is a FREE forum which means that Roy and I do not pay anything to keep the forum running. The forum has a few ads that pay for the the server that hosts the forum. The software that runs this forum leaves a lot to be desired. I have had posts disappear, potential members tell me that they got no confirmation of membership by Email. One of the biggest complaints I get is that the forum Search Function does not work all the time. It does not matter whether you search for posts or topics, you come up with nothing even though you know that word or phrase is there somewhere in the forum.

If you feel that something is missing from your post, you can edit your post and add it in.

Not to hijack this thread but > How many of you have had trouble with the Search function giving no results?

Bob
    stewdan

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility Empty Search Function??????

Post by stewdan Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Bob --- please add me to the list with search issues (Posts and Topics). Sometimes, it works and sometimes it does not.

I can try searching for something that I know I have actually seen before and the search comes back with nothing. I logoff and logon sometime later and the search works???? I have inquired about this in the past.

Stew
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Bob L., please add me to the list, too.
    slate1, et al, while they were shutting down production in the U.S., RCA briefly had a tube factory making 6CG7s in Brazil for replacements in TVs, but for audio purposes they are pure junk. They look identical - you have to squint really close to see where they came from. If you see a great deal on 6CG7s on Flebay, best ask if they're US-made. There are tons of them out there.
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Well huh, 6CG7 vs 6SN7, looks like the only diff between the SP13/14.

I guess you wouldn't really know unless you had both units using same parts...
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:31 pm

jfine wrote:Well huh, 6CG7 vs 6SN7, looks like the only diff between the SP13/14.

I guess you wouldn't really know unless you had both units using same parts...

Nomenclature notwithstanding, I believe the -14 with the octals came first. Then Roy shrunk the design with novals so he could fit a phono pre-amp board into the same-sized box and that became the -13, but the phono pre-amp and the line pre-amp did not play well together, according to him. Having owned both, I believe the parts are identical. Capped similarly, they sound pretty close. Still prefer the octals, though Smile
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

yes, the SP13 is IDENTICAL in every way to the SP14, except for the tubes used (and different height chassis), and both sound amazing and incredible.
    Same price, since the tubes cost the same and only $10 difference in the chassis size.   About 150 SP14s to date, around 10 SP13s.
    Here's the SP13 with the optional Khozmo remote control, a super nice package . . .

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility SP13-85

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photo)
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Hey!  That looks familiar!  Laughing

Here's a gut shot of the SP-13 with the Mundorf caps and Kohzmo remote volume control.

VTA PH16 Phono Stage Flexibility Img_2511
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Oh, and PH16 ordered! Smile

I know people have been hounding me for a review of the SP-13, all in due time. It sounds glorious right out the gate, easily displacing my solid state preamp, but I want to have some more time with it before posting any comments.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:57 am