The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Spring Cleaning

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Spring Cleaning Empty Spring Cleaning

Post by Peter W. Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am

Every so often, we should stop, take stock and do basic preventive maintenance on our equipment. This will range from dusting to checking connections to checking bias where applicable and any of half-a-dozen other small tasks often ignored.  As there are five (5) active systems in our house, I start with a bucket containing:

Small Zip-Ties - useful for wire dressing and securing connections.
    Velcro Strips  - bundling wires and holding wires to furniture legs and so forth - good in pet-friendly households as they prevent critter-displacement of wires.
    Various small tools - screwdrivers, small wrenches, pliers, dental picks, miniature spiral brushes and similar.
    High-proof isopropanol.  
    Wet-wipes, Q-Tips, Clean lint-free rags - self-explanatory.
    Tooth-brush size small soft brass wire-brush.
    Cordless Dyson - self-explanatory.
    Crimp-connectors - various sizes. Does that end look worn? Cut back and replace.
    VOM - rarely necessary, but when it is...
    Contact Cleaner & Lubricant(s) - as needed.
    Good Maglite flashlight.
    CD Laser Cleaner Device.
    Optional: Lamps and fuses as appropriate.
    Garbage bag for waste.

Start at the speakers, work back to the electronics and each source. Remake every connection. Clean any corrosion or dull contact surfaces. Clean scratchy controls . Wipe down exteriors and surfaces. If tube, and it has been more than a year - clean and tighten tube sockets (carefully). Replace any failed lamps. Dress wires and interconnects end-to-end. Bias-check if applicable.

And when you are done, sit back and have a good listen!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Spring Cleaning Empty Re: Spring Cleaning

Post by deepee99 Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 pm

PeterW,
    All good advice, but I wonder about the CD/DVD laser-cleaner. Have heard a variety of views about whether those damage or improve the goods. I know Kevin Deal is death on them, told me they do more harm than good, that lasers don't respond well to abrasion. Thoughts?
    chefothefuture

Post by chefothefuture Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 pm

deepee99 wrote:PeterW,
    All good advice, but I wonder about the CD/DVD laser-cleaner. Have heard a variety of views about whether those damage or improve the goods. I know Kevin Deal is death on them, told me they do more harm than good, that lasers don't respond well to abrasion. Thoughts?

Are you referring to lens or disk cleaner? LDs are a pain if they get any imperfections, though I've saved a few from the bin...
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 am

deepee99 wrote:PeterW,

There are lens cleaners, and there are lens cleaners. In a house with two long-haired, very active cats and one long-haired very active golden retriever, these are absolute necessities.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-190048-Cd-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B000001OM5

Is the one I use. My players include four Sony changes, one Yamaha changer and one very, very vintage Revox player. None have complained.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:33 am