The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
almonds
aguaazul
Bob Latino
Roy Mottram
pigface
9 posters

Khozmo 64 step remote volume

wgallupe
    wgallupe

Khozmo 64 step remote volume Empty Khozmo 64 step remote volume

Post by wgallupe Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Thinking about retrofitting the subject remote volume control into my SP13. Step one is to make sure it will fit. My SP13 also has a PH12 phono stage on board so space is a little tight. Anyone know it's dimensions? I suppose it has to get power from the existing xformer in the preamp? Where would I tap into it?

Thanks in advance, Wayne
    pigface

Khozmo 64 step remote volume Empty Re: Khozmo 64 step remote volume

Post by pigface Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

I have the SP14  and I installed  a Bent audio  remote volume motor on a Dact attenuator  In mine . I think the SP13 and 14 are the same except for the tubes they use ? I tapped into the underside of cap # C36 for the power to the motor .   The Bent motor uses 9 - 12 v. , so I guess it depends how much power you need for the  Khozmo .  You can see a picture here ( https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1983-my-new-sp14-build) about half way down the page . You can use the other C36 cap for led power also . I guess photobucket is allowing linking to pictures again my pictures seem to be showing up again .
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 pm

the Khozmo remote is about 2" square and about 2.5" deep, and it needs a small 5vdc power supply which is included.  
    On an SP13 (as the SP14) there is an unused 6vac set of leads on the HV toroid to power the 5vdc supply and display.  
    You would probably want a new front panel with the display window (but not really necessary) which is around $100 plus shipping.

Khozmo 64 step remote volume Khozmo layout
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Sun May 13, 2018 3:19 pm

For anyone interested in adding remote volume control to their preamp, I can say without hesitation that this Khozmo attenuator kit is fantastic. Easy to install and great sounding! I ordered the kit along with a new front panel from Roy. Both showed up at my door in less than two weeks. Thanks Roy!

Speaking of great sounding, I was a little worried that it would not be as good as the 24 step Elma attenuator (built with Dale resistors) that it replaced. It only took a few minutes of listening and the worry went away. Other than a faint mechanical noise when adjusting volume (that can only be heard with your ear up close to the unit) it is dead quiet. No hiss, hum or buzz. Nothing/nada/zilch.  

over the years I have owned many preamps. Some notable manufacturers include conrad johnson, Threshold and Krell to name a few of the higher end ones. My SP13 with built in PH12 phono and now the 64 step Khozmo is by far the best sounding and easiest to use preamp that I have ever owned!

Get a Khozmo. You'll love it!

BTW, I would post pics but ever since Dropbox changed their 'free' policy I lost the ability. Are there any free or cheap alternatives?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm

wgallupe wrote:For anyone interested in adding remote volume control to their preamp, I can say without hesitation that this Khozmo attenuator kit is fantastic. Easy to install and great sounding! I ordered the kit along with a new front panel from Roy. Both showed up at my door in less than two weeks. Thanks Roy!

Speaking of great sounding, I was a little worried that it would not be as good as the 24 step Elma attenuator (built with Dale resistors) that it replaced. It only took a few minutes of listening and the worry went away. Other than a faint mechanical noise when adjusting volume (that can only be heard with your ear up close to the unit) it is dead quiet. No hiss, hum or buzz. Nothing/nada/zilch.  

over the years I have owned many preamps. Some notable manufacturers include conrad johnson, Threshold and Krell to name a few of the higher end ones. My SP13 with built in PH12 phono and now the 64 step Khozmo is by far the best sounding and easiest to use preamp that I have ever owned!

Get a Khozmo. You'll love it!

BTW, I would post pics but ever since Dropbox changed their 'free' policy I lost the ability. Are there any free or cheap alternatives?

Wayne,

Free photo hosting is available at > Postimages.org

You don't have to join anything or even give your Email address .. Just upload your photo and then copy the web address for the photo ..

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Khozmo 64 step remote volume Empty Highly recommend . . .

Post by deepee99 Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 pm

. . . the 64-step Khozmo with the remote. Have one on my DS-2, with which I am very pleased. Should work just as well on a stock SP-14, although with the remote you'd need to cut a rectangular hole in the stock panel to accommodate the gain LED. Even without the remote, it's a helluva deal.
    The remote version starts up at 0, so if you forgot to turn things down from the rowdy night before, you won't get a sudden blasting on power-up. Those steps are almost inaudible in difference. Very subtle. It is truly a gentle ramp-up.Not a matter of just being too lazy to get up and fiddle with the gain pot. The remote also has a mute function, very handy, and though oddball small it's built like a brick and would be handy against welcome home intruders.
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks for the tip Bob. Let's see if I got it right:

Khozmo 64 step remote volume IMG_0249

Khozmo 64 step remote volume IMG_0250

Khozmo 64 step remote volume IMG_0252
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am

Here's a before pic:

Khozmo 64 step remote volume IMG_0201
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Wayne,
    Did you cut the led display  hole yourself, or is Roy now providing front panels to accommodate them?
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Dave,

No, I ordered a new one from Roy. It would have been next to impossible to do it myself. In addition to the rectangular hole, the backside is machined around the perimeter of the rectangle so a Plexiglas window can be installed and glued from the back side.
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Current Khozmo Boards 'may' have a popping issue.  Mine sure did and it's in for repair in my DS2. FYI!  PM me for details.
    Although, in this build, the long board with the relays & smd resistors is not installed and that is the problematic part.

Here is a link to the online photo album with pictures of the board(s) that are affected.

Khozmo Photo Album - Popping

Khozmo 64 step remote volume FNdPeWeF9r6FYjS73

Last edited by aguaazul on Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Photos)
    almonds

Post by almonds Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Does anyone know if the remote controlled Khozmo attenuator will fit in the VTA ST-120?
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm not certain but I doubt it. Best bet is to measure yourself. It's about 2" x 2" x 2-1/2" deep.
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm

aguaazul wrote:Current Khozmo Boards 'may' have a popping issue.  Mine sure did and it's in for repair in my DS2. FYI!  PM me for details.
    Although, in this build, the long board with the relays & smd resistors is not installed and that is the problematic part.

Here is a link to the online photo album with pictures of the board(s) that are affected.

So, it's the remote input selector that you are having a problem with?
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

It's the 64 step volume control is what I have, no input selector included. There are 5 parts to it. Power Supply Board, IR / display module, relay / resistor board, rotary encoder & remote control.

15 > 20 hours in, I started to get a LOUD pop coming through my speakers when raising or lowering the volume with the remote. It also happened with the rotary encoder. The pop is random, not with every click up or down.
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am

Very interesting. I'm sure DS will take care of you. Let us know what the outcome is. Also interesting is that my boards look different than the ones shown in the pics you linked to. I don't even have the long board. What does that one do?
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm

It's the relay based board for: 64 steps and one fixed high quality input resistor.

64 Step Khozmo Shunt Board

No doubt that Don is making it right.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri May 18, 2018 5:30 pm

almonds wrote:Does anyone know if the remote controlled Khozmo attenuator will fit in the VTA ST-120?

Not a chance at 2" tall.  I could barely fit a Goldpoint attenuator at 1.26" tall.  Take a look at the picture in my avatar.  2" width may be an issue as well.

Here's a better view... https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1474-st-120-kit-finished
    almonds

Post by almonds Fri May 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks, After taking a look, I see it would be impossible. But I didn't even know the dimensions of the Khozmo before I posted here, so thank you all for the info!
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Wed May 30, 2018 2:33 pm

aguaazul wrote:Current Khozmo Boards 'may' have a popping issue.  Mine sure did and it's in for repair in my DS2. FYI!  PM me for details.

I got my DS2 back, it has this in it now. The relays are not on a separate board.
    Older Khozmo 64

These seem to be problematic for some users. Not all.
    Newer Khozmo 64

Cheers,
    Aguaazul
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:31 pm

no problems at all with the older style Khozmo's which are the ones I still get from Khozmo
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am

Update: The remote's batteries seem to die after about four weeks of light use. I'm wondering if something internal could be draining them when the remote is not in use and just sitting on the coffee table???

Off to Walmart for another pair of batteries. This will be the second pair I put in it plus the pair that came with it. All in 2 months time! Guess I'll buy the 4 pack this time Mad
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Another update: The remote batteries are lasting longer now. I'm guessing that it was my fault for not taking better care of how I store the remote when not in. Laying it face down or putting it in a cigar box where other remotes could 'lean' on it and activate the buttons was the culprit. Embarassed
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Wayne, I've had the same batts for nigh on a year in mine and use it a lot, i.e. multiple times daily. Dirty contacts, mebbe?
    Cheerio,
    d
    mcb

Post by mcb Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 am

I am currently contemplating updating the Vol control in my SP14 to a remote control version. My current vol control is a 100k TDK, I have no recollection as to why I selected 100k!

What is the recommended impedance rating for the Khozmo.

Also, as my 6v transformer only has one set of 6volt wires, is there any issues with taking 6v from the input onto the main board, or should a separate 6v transformer be used?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:15 am