The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again

peterh
    peterh

Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again Empty Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again

Post by peterh Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am

Just received a used SCA-35 from an auction site in sweden.
    Slightly damaged in transport, but noting that cannot be fixed, damaged fuze holder but
    apart from that no problems powering it up after cleaning.

It is "user built" a long time ago, but most on the solderings are ok, cable dressing
    fully acceptable, and it seems to be in original condition. All tubes are "dynaco" marked !

I am planning to install an EFB kit and an IEC well, then i will see if it has full power
    or if i need to switch power tubes. 7199 seems quiet, thus i keep then for time beeing.
    The (simple) power switch might be replaced as it was : 1/ single phase and 2/ slightly stuck. I think i have spares somewhere. Pots and selector works ok and needs no work.

If any interest i can send pictures and work log .

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again Empty Re: Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again

Post by Peter W. Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 am

peterh wrote:Just received a used SCA-35 from an auction site in sweden.
    Slightly damaged in transport, but noting that cannot be fixed, damaged fuze holder but
    apart from that no problems powering it up after cleaning.

It is "user built" a long time ago, but most on the solderings are ok, cable dressing
    fully acceptable, and it seems to be in original condition. All tubes are "dynaco" marked !

I am planning to install an EFB kit and an IEC well, then i will see if it has full power
    or if i need to switch power tubes. 7199 seems quiet, thus i keep then for time beeing.
    The (simple) power switch might be replaced as it was : 1/ single phase and 2/ slightly stuck. I think i have spares somewhere. Pots and selector works ok and needs no work.

If any interest i can send pictures and work log .

Those are sweet little amps - for now, I suggest you keep in 100% original (but for the hardware, of course) until you are fully acquainted with its functions and behavior. You may decide that any modifications are unnecessary.

I have a small boatload of 7199s, should the need arise. What with three amps that use them, I have gathered them in as I come across them.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 am

I highly recommend the EFB upgrade as it lowers distortion and increases power slightly. It also keeps the B+ matched to the AC line unlike the stock bias circuit. It's an easy upgrade and reversible if needed.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 am

At a first examination : All tubes have Dynaco markings. Amazing that the EL84 have survived 40 years and still works.
    The amp works , no hum some scratches of pots and switches, nothing that some 5-56 cannot cure.
    Later i will trace some tubecurves of the oldies and also measure voltages comparing to the
    manual. In addition a full power test will reveal it's power. Stay tuned for some time.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 am

peterh wrote:At a first examination : All tubes have Dynaco markings. Amazing that the EL84 have survived 40 years  and still works.
    The amp works , no hum some scratches of pots and switches, nothing that some 5-56 cannot cure.
    Later i will trace some tubecurves of the oldies and also measure voltages comparing to the
    manual. In addition a full power test will reveal it's power. Stay tuned for some time.

The original Dynaco SCA-35 came out in 1964 so some of these units are now over 50 years old. These are nice amps ...  If used with efficient speakers (92 - 93 dB and above efficiency), they can provide room filling sound. If you intend to use the amp as a daily driver, I would rebuild the amp with new boards and clean all the controls.

Below is the test data done by Stereo Review magazine 54 years ago ..

Bob

Got me a Dynaco SCA-35 again Hfscap2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:13 am