The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

SCA-35 phono input issue

DynaMan63

SCA-35 phono input issue Empty SCA-35 phono input issue

Post by DynaMan63 Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:17 pm

I just completed a rebuild of an SCA-35. The phono output is virtually nonexistent, you can just barely hear it at full volume, I mean barely at all. All other high level inputs are fine. The turntable is preamped and switchable on or off so even when the preamp is on (high/line level) output the audio is just barely there at all at full volume through any of the phono inputs but again it works through the line levels so I know the turntable s functioning properly. I'm at a loss. Every resistor and cap in the entire unit is new, both cap cans are new. The PEC modules are original and I did not test the phono before the rebuild. Seems unlikely they would both L/R be bad. Is there a simple way to remove the PEC's, leaving the other old inputs inoperable. One phono input for mm phono is fine. It's almost as if the phono section isn't getting amplified or is being retarded by something but I cannot trace it down.
    peterh
    peterh

SCA-35 phono input issue Empty Re: SCA-35 phono input issue

Post by peterh Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 am

DynaMan63 wrote:I just completed a rebuild of an SCA-35. The phono output is virtually nonexistent, you can just barely hear it at full volume, I mean barely at all. All other high level inputs are fine. The turntable is preamped and switchable on or off so even when the preamp is on (high/line level) output the audio is just barely there at all at full volume through any of the phono inputs but again it works through the line levels so I know the turntable s functioning properly. I'm at a loss. Every resistor and cap in the entire unit is new, both cap cans are new. The PEC modules are original and I did not test the phono before the rebuild. Seems unlikely they would both L/R be bad. Is there a simple way to remove the PEC's, leaving the other old inputs inoperable. One phono input for mm phono is fine. It's almost as if the phono section isn't getting amplified or is being retarded by something but I cannot trace it down.
    An easier way is to inject 5mV 1khz into the phone input and follow the signal with a scope.
    Have you done anything with the signal switcher ?
    DynaMan63

Post by DynaMan63 Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 am

All I have is a digital multimeter and of course I could output the signal from my PC, or use the turntable if that would work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:27 am