The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dynaco PAS3

Bally

Dynaco PAS3 Empty Dynaco PAS3

Post by Bally Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone ever thought of installing VU meters on a restored or clone PAS3.
    What would be the best way to connect them? Thanks in advance for any response.
    ViperZ
    ViperZ

Dynaco PAS3 Empty Re: Dynaco PAS3

Post by ViperZ Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:38 am

Bally wrote:Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone ever thought of installing VU meters on a restored or clone PAS3.
    What would be the best way to connect them? Thanks in advance for any response.

What are you trying to achieve by installing VU meters on the preamp? Wouldn't it better to have such meters on the amp to show you the power output (like Carver, etc.)?
    Bally

Post by Bally Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Thank you for the response ViperZ. And yes I would like to monitor power output on the amp.
    I just thought I'd throw out the question since I never the issue come up before in modding
    the ST70.
    I am a newbie in the process of building an ST70 and later a PAS3. I do have a pair of salvaged
    VUs and wanted to incorporate them in the project.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:14 pm

The VU meters you salvaged: what did they come out of?

In most cases it's best to drive such meters with a small transistor amplifier stage, to buffer the meter coils from the output of the amplifier and to provide a means to calibrate them. Even with that, however, it's doubtful that you would ever be able to determine the peak power your amplifier is putting out from the meter reading. Most power peaks are almost instantaneous in nature and are long gone by the time that slow, sluggish meter needle is going to be able to respond; by the time the needle gets a short distance up, the peak is gone and the meter needle goes back down again.

That's why there is a specific calibration and damping standard that applies to standard vu meters and their circuitry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:41 pm