The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

PAS 3 Shielded Phono Cabling

moodyj2000

PAS 3 Shielded Phono Cabling Empty PAS 3 Shielded Phono Cabling

Post by moodyj2000 Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:03 pm

Doing a full rebuild of a PAS 3 and was looking through some pictures of builds online. On most of them I see shielded cable being used from the phono RCA inputs to the PC-6 board. I am using a full RCA replacement from Dynakit and new PC-5/PC-6 boards from Erhard. Does anyone have any details on using a two wire shielded cable at this point?
    jwb474

PAS 3 Shielded Phono Cabling Empty Re: PAS 3 Shielded Phono Cabling

Post by jwb474 Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:04 pm

I may be able to help some. I too have the Erhard upgrade assemblies (Along with a Phono Pre-Amp assembly that I got from Tubes4HiFi many a year ago, used a separate Phono Pre-Amp project). Since you are using the Erhads, I assume that you are not using the original input selector switch in which the Phono input jacks went to the switch first then to the PCB assembly. The layout of the Erhard Phono Pre-Amp puts the Phono inputs very close to the RCA Jacks. Per the Erhard signal wiring diagram they show using twisted pairs of wires. Since the run length is short and the twisted pair does provide a pseudo shielding effect, you should have no problems.

Now, I have also used shielded cables in the past. I have some Archer 2-conductor shield, 278-1275 and Archer 1-conductor shield, 278-1277 that I got when you could walk in a Radio Shack store and get things, The good old days and I have given away my age. If you use heat-shrink tubing to dress the ends of the shielded cable it will look nice.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:17 am