The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Has anyone tried these tubes in St-120? PREFERRED SERIES KT88

smoorenc

Has anyone tried these tubes in St-120? PREFERRED SERIES KT88 Empty Has anyone tried these tubes in St-120? PREFERRED SERIES KT88

Post by smoorenc Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have a ST-120 with dual rectifier mod. I currently have Psvane KT88C's installed. I actually like them pretty good, especially over the 6550's (IMHO). I bought these when regular KT88's were super scarce. I see the tube store has these "PREFERRED SERIES KT88's" now. Has anyone tried these yet? I was wondering how they would compare to my Psvane KT88C's. If needed info, I run a VTA-SP14 pre-amp and drive Tannoy XT8F's.

Thanks
    Scott
    ArlanB
    ArlanB

Has anyone tried these tubes in St-120? PREFERRED SERIES KT88 Empty Re: Has anyone tried these tubes in St-120? PREFERRED SERIES KT88

Post by ArlanB Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:00 am

Greetings smoorenc,  

In response to your question,  I have been using these tubes for almost 13 years.  I purchased my 120 kit in 2008. I got one of Bob's first kits off the line.  First two years were spent ferreting out power tubes.  My first four sets were from the Russian/Eastern block countries.  Went through 4 sets in 2 years    From JJ's to Gold Lion.  Longest lasting was JJ at 9 months, shortest was Gold Lion at 2 weeks.  Then I discovered Penta Labs KT88SC.  Ordered a quad set and that is the end of the story.  Bought another pair as backup and it took 7 years to go through 4 tubes.  When I went to order more Penta Labs tubes they had discontinued them.  That is when I discovered that the Tube Store had started marketing what they claimed to be the exact same tube as Penta Labs.  So I bought a set 6 years ago and liked them so well that for the next two years on Black Friday I purchased a quad each year.  That was when The Tube Store was offering them at Black Friday prices, $36.95 per tube so I bought the first quad, then on Black Friday on the following year they again offered them at $39.95 per tube so I purchased a second quad.  That was the last time that they did that. I am still on my first quad of Preferred Series KT88's and they still sound just as good as when they were new. So in short I found my go to power tubes.  No platitudes about how they sound.  I see no reason the change a good thing. Hope you find something you like.    

ArlanB

Dale Stevens and smoorenc like this post

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:33 am