The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Preamp kit question

xlr8

Preamp kit question Empty Preamp kit question

Post by xlr8 Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 am

Bob,

I've noticed the parts lists for the new preamp kits and was wondering if I can fit a phono stage and a line stage in the large chassis together? Also, do you guys have a particular parts combination you would use yourselves?

Thanks,

Jon
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Preamp kit question Empty preamp kits

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi Jon,
    are you referring to my "under construction" - "How to build a Preamp" page?
    Hope to finish it up in about a week. Anyway, the answer to that and hopefully to your question is yes, this is a menu list of parts, you can pick and choose from each section and put that all together to build your own custom preamp. That can help you whether you have a low budget or a high budget. A few of the PCBs are under development but most are done sitting on the shelf ready for customers. Which would I buy? The best within my budget.
    Roy www.tubes4hifi.com/prebuild.htm
    xlr8

Preamp kit question Empty Re: Preamp kit question

Post by xlr8 Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Personaly, I'd be interested in building gear that can compete with some of the better Hi-Fi gear that is currently available. I'd be looking for the best I could get for my DIY buck. If it takes building a phono stage in a seperate chassis to achieve better sonics, I'll do it. It looks as though there are lots of possibilities, given the items you have listed. I just wondered if you guys had any favorites. Smile
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:24 pm

From my experience and point of view, marginal increases in cost can make a huge difference in the final result.
    Experienced tube builders already know this, but a novice tube builder may not.
    For example, you can build an all new Dyna PAS3 clone for around $450, and have a nice decent preamp.
    It would be about equivilent to buying a new product for around the same price.
    On the hi-end, you could get the best of all the parts available for a total of around $800, and wind up with a preamp that not only looks great (professionally finished custom front and rear machined/engraved panels)
    but with the inner circuits and sound that compare to commercially available new products selling in the $3000-5000 range.
    The LA12 line amp and the PH12 phono amp are gonna get you there, and can be built as separates or all in one larger case. I hope to have kits for these available by mid-November.
    xlr8

Post by xlr8 Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Thank you! You have answered my question and beyond. What I was thinking about was going ahead and ordering a chassis large enough to fit both the line and phono without compromising sound quality too much. Then go ahead and build the phono stage, get it working then add the line stage later, if that's even possible. If not, I'sure one of you will point us in the right direction!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:55 am