The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

100K Attenuator W Remote Control

mantha3
    mantha3

100K Attenuator W Remote Control Empty 100K Attenuator W Remote Control

Post by mantha3 Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Before I get into my question I must apologize.. I did put this on another forum I won't mention... I should have just put this question here where I'll be talking to people who have similar amps as I (Bob's ST-120 for me)

I own a newer ST-120 tube amp and I got this with the 100K Stepped attenuator that Bob sells. I really like the sound. Just a CD player hooked up to the amp and the attenuator to control the volume.. As simple as it gets! I spoke to Bob when I did the purchase and he talked about the school of thought “The Best Pre-Amp is no Pre-Amp”… I’m sure this is a controversial topic. For me this works and I dig it.

I do not want to buy a full preamp.. I don’t ever seem to adjust Treble, Bass, Balance etc…

If I could have an component that had a 100K Attenuator (maybe more steps?)… And then I could adjust the volume/Attenuation with a remote control… Then the componenent had 3 or so RCA ins and the output to the amp (or maybe 2 outs but not required).. And a Audio in selector for the 3 inputs… Nice. More Source In’s then great… 2 or 3 would work… I would not even need the source select on the remote control and this could just be a swich on the component.

I’m sure I’m not thinking of something that is all new in theory.

Anyone have something along these lines that they purchased or built from Kit or DIY?

Thanks all and have a good weekend.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

100K Attenuator W Remote Control Empty Re: 100K Attenuator W Remote Control

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi,

The reason that attenuator on your amp is only 21 steps is that it has to be small to fit into the area available in the stereo/mono slot. On my amp > 21 steps is just fine and they come on gradually on the the first 1/2 turn. To my ears this stepped attenuator does not degrade the sound at all. IMHO my own ST-120 sounds better with just the attenuator and no preamp.

Below is an link to a very inexpensive ($60 + shipping) passive preamp from China with three inputs and two outputs. I have not used one myself but I guess all it must be just a 3 position selector switch with a volume control. For the time and effort to build one as you describe in your post, this one may fit the bill.

Passive preamp with a selector switch

Bob
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi All:
    I agree with Bob it sounds better without a preamp. I have virtually abandoned my Bottlehead Foreplay III extended and only use a DAC in the path from my PC to the amp (ST-120).
    IMHO the DAC does make an audible difference and would be the only thing I would say is worth putting into the signal path. Otherwise the sound seems cleaner without a preamp in there.
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 am

Adcom GFP-175
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 am

Hi,

If my post sounded like I was complaining about the pot only having 21 one steps I apologize… Not my intent. I’m happy with just the pot. On the amp and have no problems with just the 21 steps. I’m also sold on just having a stepped attenuator and no pre-amp.

Really I’m mostly looking for the same stepped attenuator as the 21 stepped one (more steps then great) but with a remote… I’ll keep looking. Thanks for taking the time to respond Bob and baddog If I find something that works well for me I’ll share the scoop with ya.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm