The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

VTA timer board - who's using one?

Tom

VTA timer board - who's using one? Empty VTA timer board - who's using one?

Post by Tom Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:22 pm

I need to protect (?) my system against a certain family member who can't remember the turn on - turn off sequence.

Was thinking about installing one of the timer boards offered here. Will this help with the humms and thumps of turning the tube preamp (SP-Cool on or off with the SS amp still on?

Any help appreciated.

Here's the timer board: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/TDR.htm
    Tom

VTA timer board - who's using one? Empty Re: VTA timer board - who's using one?

Post by Tom Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Ha! The software (smarter than me) turned my parenthetical SP-8 in to a smiley Cool

I should be better at this. Smile
    jhoak

Post by jhoak Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I put one in the VTA/ST-120 that I recently sold.

Nice piece of kit. Easy to build and easy to install.

Highly recommended.

Frankly I think it should be "standard equipment" in all VTA/ST-XXX kits.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 pm

jhoak wrote:I put one in the VTA/ST-120 that I recently sold.

Nice piece of kit. Easy to build and easy to install.

Highly recommended.

Frankly I think it should be "standard equipment" in all VTA/ST-XXX kits.

Hi Jeff,

The VTA TDR is not really needed unless ..

1. You are using solid state rectifiers and want to delay the application of B+ high voltage until the tubes have been warmed up a little.

2. You live in an area where you have AC power "drop outs" for a fraction of a second up to maybe 3 or 4 seconds. In other words a quick ON/OFF/ON (a short cycle situation) on your AC power. This can take out a rectifier tube.

If you intend to use just a TUBE RECTIFIER then you can get away with no TDR board. The tube rectifier warms up slowly enough so it has its own built in "time delay". I don't ever remember a short ON/OFF/ON here where I live but I know that this can be an issue in other parts of the country.

The inclusion of the TDR board in all amps would add $35 to the price of the VTA ST-70 and ST-120 amp kits. I don't know if all would be willing to pay for an extra feature that may not be absolutely necessary in their situation.

Bob
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Tom wrote:I need to protect (?) my system against a certain family member who can't remember the turn on - turn off sequence.

Although 99% of the time I am the system operator here at home, for those rare occasions that someone else (aka. Mrs. Charlie) may choose to operate it, I made a laminated card containing the system operating instructions. So far no problems! Wink

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:54 am

If laminated cards worked, more than one person could operate the pool, the sprinklers, etc... Razz

Seriously though, If I put the timer on the AC secondaries for the HV circuit of the SP-8, would that reduce the transient noises that warmup / shutdown sends thru the amp to the speakers?

Anyone tried it?

Smile Tom

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm