I walk away for a while with the amp on, came back to it and decided to check the bias... hmmmm over 4 volts on both sides.. Yikes! Grabbed another meter, same thing, I took a look at my variable isolated AC supply and the ST-70 was pulling over 3 amps... nominal 1.6 amps. Immediately I turned off the amp. I must have caught it just as the selenium failed as the tubes did not have a chance to turn cherry red. Had I not checked it, for sure something would have failed.
This morning I checked, the selenium rectifier was open. Replaced that with a 1N4004 diode and also replaced the 2 50uf caps with 100uf... bias nice and normal again.
Moral of the story, take that selenium rectifier out, it will fail and most likely take the power transformer out with it. It is also good idea to have a AC amp meter connected as you can take a quick look to see if the amp is pulling more current than it should.