The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Are my amps compatible with these speakers?

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Are my amps compatible with these speakers? Empty Are my amps compatible with these speakers?

Post by LeGrace Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Looking at a pair of used Tannoy D700's. They are 6 ohm nominal impedance and 3 ohm minimum impedance. Can my M125's handle them? If yes which would be better, 8 ohm or 4 ohm taps?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Are my amps compatible with these speakers? Empty Re: Are my amps compatible with these speakers?

Post by Kentley Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Looking at the Tannoy specs, and reading what others say about them, I would give an unequivocal YES to their use with M-125s. They are quite efficient at 93db...
    As far as impedance, I would definitely recommend the 4 ohm taps. The current draw from 8 ohm taps might easily tax the output sections.
    Rule of thumb (verified by a speaker maker of high repute):
    Don't let your speaker impedance fall too far below amp tap rating. This can damage the amp, and further would tend to a wild, uncontrolled sound, esp. in bass. Like a hip-hop concert gone amok. affraid
    The M-125s are powerhouse amps, and as we all should know by now, 125 TUBE watts = 200-300 SS watts. Not literally, of course, but in the Real World.
    Dogstar

Are my amps compatible with these speakers? Empty Re: Are my amps compatible with these speakers?

Post by Dogstar Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm envious of you for owning a pair of M-125's. They probably make any speaker sound fantastic!

I only posess an ST-120. Half the power but it's still a great amp. I own Polk Audio LSiM 703's, JBL L100T3's, and custom Klipsche's. And the ST-120 I have makes all of those speakers sound great though the 703's are not as efficient as the other 2 pairs so the volume is not as great. The JBL's are not the monitors. They are floor standing 3 ways. They sound very precise and the imaging is great. The Custom Klipsche's started off as Heresy's but the guy that built them used larger waveguides for the tweeters and mid ranges and crossovers based on Bob Crites designs. They sound very three dimensional and natural. The problem with the Klipsche speakers is that the finish looks very amateurish. Because of that I keep them in my bedroom which is also where the ST-120 is. McIntosh MC2105/C39 currently drives the JBL's in my den.

I'd suggest Vintage Klipsche or JBL L100T3's.

I want to bet that
    Its a toaster

Post by Its a toaster Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:13 am

I just received a pair of 700s myself and I am running them on a vta st70. They sound amazing. A friend loaned me a pair of super tweeters to try with them and the improvement was fantastic. So yes your 125s will work just fine. I am getting ready to bi amp them soon and expect them to only get better. One thing I can warn you of is that the speakers are not forgiving of a bad source or source material so you may find yourself looking to upgrade your album or cd collection.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:01 am

I did not reallize that Tannoy's were so expensive
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:53 am

Its a toaster wrote:I just received a pair of 700s myself and I am running them on a vta st70. They sound amazing. A friend loaned me a pair of super tweeters to try with them and the improvement was fantastic. So yes your 125s will work just fine. I am getting ready to bi amp them soon and expect them to only get better. One thing I can warn you of is that the speakers are not forgiving of a bad source or source material so you may find yourself looking to upgrade your album or cd collection.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting comment about the super tweeters. Google got me up to speed. Are you going to get a pair for yourself?

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Pulled the trigger. Time will tell!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm