The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
Dogstar
slate1
Dave_in_Va
wildiowa
Peter W.
peterh
DavidR
11 posters

New to the Forum & new owner of a ST-120; Tube questions

Dogstar

New to the Forum & new owner of a ST-120; Tube questions - Page 2 Empty Re: New to the Forum & new owner of a ST-120; Tube questions

Post by Dogstar Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:18 pm

arledgsc wrote:Gold Lion KT-88s are my favorite of that model of tube.  But I prefer KT-120s in my ST-120 amp.  Either case Jim McShane is my man for power tubes.  Jim knows Bob's amps and matches the tubes accordingly.  His prices are extreme competitive and takes care of warranty issues straight away.

Had pretty good luck buying preamp tubes from different sources.  But I've also had to eat tubes purchased on Ebay as you usually get no warranty.

But let the amp run in with the Sovteks while you figure out what to try next.  You will be confused on true amp sound until it breaks in.

I also feel the TungSol KT-120's sound better than the Genelex Gold Lion KT-88's. I had a Webber SS rectifier installed with the KT-120's also and TungSol 12AU7's.

When I can take the time to indulge in my hobby I'll purchase another quad of the TS KT-120's.
    peterh
    peterh

New to the Forum & new owner of a ST-120; Tube questions - Page 2 Empty Re: New to the Forum & new owner of a ST-120; Tube questions

Post by peterh Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:56 am

Dave_in_Va wrote:Aren't Genelex tubes the same Russian tubes from the same factory that makes several brands?

As far as I know these brands (Mullard, Tung-Sol, Genelex) have absolutely nothing to do with the the original companies.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there only three tube factories? One in China, one in Russia and one in the Czech Republic (or somewhere in eastern Europe)?
    JJ is in cadca, slovakia, not czech . Slovakia was one of the two regions constituting
    the former Czechoslovakia.
    In addition there is a small number of small factories, most building 300B replicas.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Tesla-Vac used to make the finest tubes, but Clinton bombed the factory during the Kosovo dust-up. My late friend John Bedini almost went postal over that. It forced him into solid-state stuff, which he made a fine job of.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 pm

deepee99 wrote:Tesla-Vac used to make the finest tubes, but Clinton bombed the factory during the Kosovo dust-up. My late friend John Bedini almost went postal over that. It forced him into solid-state stuff, which he made a fine job of.

"tesla vac" ???    

Tesla is/was a chech tube factory , the assets are bought by JJ who continues in cadca, slovakia.

The tubefactory that _might_ have been bombed is EI  , but i think they sold their assets
    before the war ( someone better informed might clear this up)

Some googling came up with this link :
    http://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/EI-FACTORY/EI-index.htm

Last edited by peterh on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link about the death of EI)
    novisnick
    novisnick

Post by novisnick Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Welcom DavidR, just as big a zoo as a few other forums,,,,,ha,,,,ha,,,,

Enjoy the 6550 for months, you wont be sorry. And cruise this forum and pick up information as you read. You don't need to know it all to make a good decision once youve hung out for awhile.

Glad your enjoying the sound of the glow my friend.
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Nick,

I like the Sovtek 6550. Smile

Looking for upgrade possibilities for the diver tubes. I realize the sound is all dependent on personal taste.

I just like to absorb as much info as I can in order to better understand the ins and outs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 am