The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+12
Kentley
Peter W.
peterh
crkohut
jfine
deepee99
Roy
CletusB
Dave_in_Va
sKiZo
arledgsc
wildiowa
16 posters

My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Roy
    Roy

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by Roy Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 am

Anyone who is sure enough of the job done to put their name on it is ok in my book
    I might make a mark in pencil on mine XD
    CletusB
    CletusB

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Just ordered me a quad of Gold Lion KT-88 and a 12BH7 - EH gold pin tube with matched sections from Jim McShane .....real cool gentleman to work with! bounce
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:05 pm

CletusB wrote:Just ordered me a quad of Gold Lion KT-88 and a 12BH7 - EH gold pin tube with matched sections from Jim McShane   .....real cool gentleman to work with! bounce
    Not a huge fan of EH's, but if Jim says they're good you can take it to the bank. Those GL KT-88s will not let you down. Give 'em about 100 hours. Now that you're swapping out output tubes, go through the regime of re-tensioning and re-compressing the sockets, with a dose of Deoxit and a pipe-cleaner to shine 'em up. About an hour's work, but well worth it.
    -d-
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Yup, noted!   ....Deoxit is my #1 electronics chemical here in the shop for many years.
    Got about 60 hours now on the amp with 6550's on board    ......yes, Jim highly recommended the EH 12BH7 for that voltage amplifier.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Here she is running about 3-hours (original 6550 tubes)

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 St-12010
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm

sKiZo wrote:............

PS - one other accessory you should definitely plan on getting ... maybe the best $20 you'll ever spend.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 41if9a4qmhL._SY450_

TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection

Ignore the GFCI part - this type of adapter requires a manual reset on any power blips, and can save yer bacon, preventing multiple inrush loads on the more sensitive bits.

Thanks for the advice, it's now part of my system ......I bought the pretty yellow one! Very Happy
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 pm

CletusB wrote:
    sKiZo wrote:............

PS - one other accessory you should definitely plan on getting ... maybe the best $20 you'll ever spend.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 41if9a4qmhL._SY450_

TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection

Ignore the GFCI part - this type of adapter requires a manual reset on any power blips, and can save yer bacon, preventing multiple inrush loads on the more sensitive bits.

Thanks for the advice, it's now part of my system   ......I bought the pretty yellow one! Very Happy
    The yellow ones work better cheers
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

I've put a thermometer monitor sticker on the pwr transformer  ....she stays at a toasty 71*C (160*F)
    https://www.thermometersite.com/thermax-10-level-strips-irreversible-labels-2

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Thermo10
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am

ABSOLUTELY! lol! ....cheers!
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am

Just acquired my deceased brother's CD collection .....maybe some 400+ CDs, lots of Broadway soundtracks and such. He was quite a renown local Artist, Designer, Carnival Band Leader and Show Producer .....this amp's gonna work for it's money! Laughing
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

CletusB wrote:I've put a thermometer monitor sticker on the pwr transformer  ....she stays at a toasty 71*C (160*F)
    https://www.thermometersite.com/thermax-10-level-strips-irreversible-labels-2

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Thermo10
    Is that an oral or rectal thermometer?
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:11 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Is that an oral or rectal thermometer?

You mean there's a difference? My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Confused0078
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Listen10
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

[quote="CletusB"]My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

Do you have any room treatments for standing waves? That shape (depending on ceiling height) is very nearly a perfect set-up for them.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-4/Formation-of-Standing-Waves
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:54 pm

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Carlso10
    I think all the clutter will help guard against those a little Peter =]
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Roy wrote:My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Carlso10
    I think all the clutter will help guard against those a little Peter =]
    Roy. does any of that stuff actually work?
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCarlsonsLab/videos
    feast your eyes on this channel deepee

and yes - that pic of that nook with all that gear is actually in use gear..

this details that nook in particular
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Peter W. wrote:
    CletusB wrote:My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

Do you have any room treatments for standing waves? That shape (depending on ceiling height) is very nearly a perfect set-up for them.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-4/Formation-of-Standing-Waves  

IMHO it sounds GREAT as it is.
    Ceiling: Acoustic tiles (fiberglass)
    Ceiling height: 9ft
    Floor: Carpet
    General: More than enough furniture and bookshelf, paintings, etc.
    Split A/C
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Now I have to design a big plywood rack-space for all those CDs Shocked
    ....and will do a simple catalog database with excel I guess.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I used to use Disclib for that Cletus simple little program which was quite useful For more complex content I use Disk Explorer Professional 3 another free one.. Both quite old and have not updated in forever but still available for download and quite useful. The latter has lots of useful features one of which is hashing the data on the discs or harddisk or whatever to keep an eye on degradation
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Or put everything on an HTPC and hide the CDs in the closet?

I put a couple TBs of CDs on a hard drive using jRiver Media Center's internal ripper (EAC Lite) and haven't fumbled with a jewel box for years. Especially nice is the "library" front end that keeps everything organized and gives you one click listening.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Mc-folders02
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 pm

What are your thoughts KT-88 vs KT-120 and in that context tube vs Weber WZ68?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

CletusB wrote:Now I have to design a big plywood rack-space for all those CDs Shocked
    ....and will do a simple catalog database with excel I guess.
    Save your wall space, Cletus, and get a good CD ripper. I have some ideas we could discuss in a PM. Skiz has some experience with ripping as well, and prolly others on the VTA board.
    I ripped my entire CD library and now the discs, residing unused in the basement, are a lending library for people who donate to our local Pet Rescue. No need for Excel; just use an iPad, iPhone or anything else that runs iPeng, and it will catalogue and control on the fly. Way cool.

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:28 am

CletusB wrote:What are your thoughts KT-88 vs KT-120 and in that context tube vs Weber WZ68?  

I really like the KT120's and the ST120 is plenty strong to drive them. Kind of a tight fit on the stock chassis, but they WILL work as evidenced by Mr. Bob's example on his own rig - not sure if he's still running them, but he posted up some pics a while back.

As far as rectifiers go, I'm a fan of the big bottle GZ37. Kinda pricey, but excellent results here. I got a real deal on a pair some time ago figuring a spare would be nice to have - been running the first one for several years now.

PS - here's what my tube temps look like. The extra ventilation and wider spacing make a world of difference.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 4 Tube-temps

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content