The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

CletusB

Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by CletusB on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 pm

.....nothing wrong with being proud of it man! Cool
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm

You guys need to take a shower, hopefully not together Laughing
    jfine

Post by jfine on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 pm

deepee99 wrote:You guys need to take a shower, hopefully not together Laughing

Thanks for the dual OCD image.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 am

Anyone who is sure enough of the job done to put their name on it is ok in my book
    I might make a mark in pencil on mine XD
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Just ordered me a quad of Gold Lion KT-88 and a 12BH7 - EH gold pin tube with matched sections from Jim McShane .....real cool gentleman to work with! bounce
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:05 pm

CletusB wrote:Just ordered me a quad of Gold Lion KT-88 and a 12BH7 - EH gold pin tube with matched sections from Jim McShane   .....real cool gentleman to work with! bounce
    Not a huge fan of EH's, but if Jim says they're good you can take it to the bank. Those GL KT-88s will not let you down. Give 'em about 100 hours. Now that you're swapping out output tubes, go through the regime of re-tensioning and re-compressing the sockets, with a dose of Deoxit and a pipe-cleaner to shine 'em up. About an hour's work, but well worth it.
    -d-
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Yup, noted!   ....Deoxit is my #1 electronics chemical here in the shop for many years.
    Got about 60 hours now on the amp with 6550's on board    ......yes, Jim highly recommended the EH 12BH7 for that voltage amplifier.
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Here she is running about 3-hours (original 6550 tubes)

CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm

sKiZo wrote:............

PS - one other accessory you should definitely plan on getting ... maybe the best $20 you'll ever spend.

TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection

Ignore the GFCI part - this type of adapter requires a manual reset on any power blips, and can save yer bacon, preventing multiple inrush loads on the more sensitive bits.

Thanks for the advice, it's now part of my system ......I bought the pretty yellow one! Very Happy
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 pm

CletusB wrote:
    sKiZo wrote:............

PS - one other accessory you should definitely plan on getting ... maybe the best $20 you'll ever spend.

TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection

Ignore the GFCI part - this type of adapter requires a manual reset on any power blips, and can save yer bacon, preventing multiple inrush loads on the more sensitive bits.

Thanks for the advice, it's now part of my system   ......I bought the pretty yellow one! Very Happy
    The yellow ones work better cheers
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

I've put a thermometer monitor sticker on the pwr transformer  ....she stays at a toasty 71*C (160*F)
    https://www.thermometersite.com/thermax-10-level-strips-irreversible-labels-2

Roy

Post by Roy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am

ABSOLUTELY! lol! ....cheers!
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am

Just acquired my deceased brother's CD collection .....maybe some 400+ CDs, lots of Broadway soundtracks and such. He was quite a renown local Artist, Designer, Carnival Band Leader and Show Producer .....this amp's gonna work for it's money! Laughing
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

Funny thing about that. When my wife and I worked in Saudi, we made our own wine, port and sherry. My wife got the airlocks ('bubblers') through Saudi customs, but the Hydrometer got snagged in the X-rays. No penalty, they just confiscated it with a smile and a tsk,tsk headshake. My wife was a school-teacher and claimed the bubblers as science experiment tools. That she is a good-looking blonde may have had something to do with it, but the Hygrometer was simply too much.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

CletusB wrote:I've put a thermometer monitor sticker on the pwr transformer  ....she stays at a toasty 71*C (160*F)
    https://www.thermometersite.com/thermax-10-level-strips-irreversible-labels-2

Is that an oral or rectal thermometer?
    jfine

Post by jfine on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:11 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Is that an oral or rectal thermometer?

You mean there's a difference?
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

[quote="CletusB"]My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

Do you have any room treatments for standing waves? That shape (depending on ceiling height) is very nearly a perfect set-up for them.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-4/Formation-of-Standing-Waves
    Roy

Post by Roy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I think all the clutter will help guard against those a little Peter =]
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Roy wrote:
    I think all the clutter will help guard against those a little Peter =]
    Roy. does any of that stuff actually work?
    Roy

Post by Roy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCarlsonsLab/videos
    feast your eyes on this channel deepee

and yes - that pic of that nook with all that gear is actually in use gear..

this details that nook in particular
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Peter W. wrote:
    CletusB wrote:My listening position. The VOTTs acoustically couple beautifully into that space.

Do you have any room treatments for standing waves? That shape (depending on ceiling height) is very nearly a perfect set-up for them.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-4/Formation-of-Standing-Waves  

IMHO it sounds GREAT as it is.
    Ceiling: Acoustic tiles (fiberglass)
    Ceiling height: 9ft
    Floor: Carpet
    General: More than enough furniture and bookshelf, paintings, etc.
    Split A/C
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Now I have to design a big plywood rack-space for all those CDs Shocked
    ....and will do a simple catalog database with excel I guess.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I used to use Disclib for that Cletus simple little program which was quite useful For more complex content I use Disk Explorer Professional 3 another free one.. Both quite old and have not updated in forever but still available for download and quite useful. The latter has lots of useful features one of which is hashing the data on the discs or harddisk or whatever to keep an eye on degradation

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 am