The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Question about el34 and / or tube filaments

Midwestside
    Midwestside

Question about el34 and / or  tube filaments Empty Question about el34 and / or tube filaments

Post by Midwestside Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:24 pm

I noticed on one of my EL34 power tubes, that the heater/ filament is elevated noticeably higher out of the cathode in the back power tubes than in the front. all biased to .400
    The filament in the back looks like a complete letter "M", but the front filament barely pokes out and you can only see the Peaks of the filament. Seems to be the same for the other side as well.
    Is this just break in? Do the filaments expand and contract? perhaps the way things happen in the manufacturing process? I know its a total newbie question, i just want to make sure im not stressing a particular tube more than the others somehow.

Question about el34 and / or  tube filaments Photo_12
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Question about el34 and / or  tube filaments Empty Re: Question about el34 and / or tube filaments

Post by Tubes4ever Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Totally normal differences during manufacturing. No need to worry as long as the tube works normally which it sounds like it does. Remember these tubes are hand assembled. The heater will not move or change position during the tube's life.
    Midwestside
    Midwestside

Question about el34 and / or  tube filaments Empty Re: Question about el34 and / or tube filaments

Post by Midwestside Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Tubes4ever wrote:Totally normal differences during manufacturing.  No need to worry as long as the tube works normally which it sounds like it does.  Remember these tubes are hand assembled.  The heater will not move or change position during the tube's life.

Thanks, I figured as much. Just wanted to be sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:20 am