The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference?

w1nr

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? Empty PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference?

Post by w1nr Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 am

I found a very nice and original Dynaco PAS at a flea market Very Happy but I am unable to find a manual or other reference to it on the WEB. Does anyone know the difference between the PAS and PAS2? Does anyone have a manual? I have not done a complete circuit analyses but it looks to be the same as a PAS2 with 5 ventilation holes in the top of the case that none of the other models have.

Thanks in advance
    peterh
    peterh

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? Empty Re: PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference?

Post by peterh Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 am

w1nr wrote:I found a very nice and original Dynaco PAS at a flea market Very Happy but I am unable to find a manual or other reference to it on the WEB. Does anyone know the difference between the PAS and PAS2? Does anyone have a manual? I have not done a complete circuit analyses but it looks to be the same as a PAS2 with 5 ventilation holes in the top of the case that none of the other models have.

Thanks in advance
    Dynaco PAS has 2 variants : PAS and PAS/X
    The 'X' is the latest model and has differing tonecontrols. It's easiest recognized on the two 1uF caps from the line board to the bass pots.

Both has used different frontplates, the early is flat, the later is stringpressed aluminium.

manual is virtually everywhere, here is one :

http://n.manet.nu/amps/Dynaco%20PAS-3X%20manual.pdf
    w1nr

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? Empty Re: PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference?

Post by w1nr Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 am

I can find manuals for the PAS-2, PAS-3, PAS-3X and even the PAS-4 but no where have I found mention of a PAS with no number after it, which is what I have. Are you saying this is an early PAS-3? I found more images on the net. Seems Dynaco left off the number on the "3" variants.

Photos:

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? 20210211
    PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? 20210210
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 am

w1nr wrote:I can find manuals for the PAS-2, PAS-3, PAS-3X and even the PAS-4 but no where have I found mention of a PAS with no number after it, which is what I have. Are you saying this is an early PAS-3? I found more images on the net. Seems Dynaco left off the number on the "3" variants.

Photos:

PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? 20210211
    PAS vs PAS2 - Is there a difference? 20210210

This is most likely an PAS2 ( by the front) The holes on top has been made by someone. There is no need for extra ventilation on a dynaco PAS2/3  PAS4 is different however.
    It could be an 'X' model, one has to look inside to see that.
    w1nr

Post by w1nr Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:55 am

OK on the holes. They don't have paint inside them so they were added later. What is so confusing is that every photo I have found of a PAS-2 says "2" on the back label and does not have the "notch" around the output jacks like all of the PAS-3's have. All of the PAS-3 photos have the aluminum front panel and a rear panel that matches this one. Then this also has the X model 1uF caps on the bass pots too! But if there are no other electrical differences then I am all set to go with the restoration. The electrolytics show visible leakage so they will all get replaced before I even try to power it up. All of the tubes are Dynaco labels so I will store these away for another day.

Very interesting finding out about all of the variations of this. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:11 pm