The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Newbie PAS2 help

zapped1

Newbie PAS2 help Empty Newbie PAS2 help

Post by zapped1 Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:15 pm

Hi all, I'm relatively new to tubes and need some advice on how to diagnose a problem with a Pas2. The left channel does not produce sound and one of the 12AX7 tubes on the PC5 glows much brighter than the other. I'm wondering if it could be related to the selenium rectifier/diodes; I did replace the electrolytic caps with the same values; new PC5 and PC6  boards; new rca kit; cleaned selector switch; checked all wiring/solder joints. The tubes tested in the lower range (waiting for new); rechecked all wiring/ solder joints; deoxit all pots (no scratchiness).
    I'm wanting to test my voltages, but I'm a little hesitant because I've never done this before and thought I'd seek guidance from those of you that have.
    Any and all guidance is truly appreciated. Thanks
    peterh
    peterh

Newbie PAS2 help Empty Re: Newbie PAS2 help

Post by peterh Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:45 pm

zapped1 wrote:Hi all, I'm relatively new to tubes and need some advice on how to diagnose a problem with a Pas2. The left channel does not produce sound and one of the 12AX7 tubes on the PC5 glows much brighter than the other. I'm wondering if it could be related to the selenium rectifier/diodes; I did replace the electrolytic caps with the same values; new PC5 and PC6  boards; new rca kit; cleaned selector switch; checked all wiring/solder joints. The tubes tested in the lower range (waiting for new); rechecked all wiring/ solder joints; deoxit all pots (no scratchiness).
    I'm wanting to test my voltages, but I'm a little hesitant because I've never done this before and thought I'd seek guidance from those of you that have.
    Any and all guidance is truly appreciated. Thanks
    Q1 :Was the left channel silent before all work on the amp ?

Q2 : which sources is used ? phone or line input ? Is it silent on all sources ?

Q3 : if you replaced PC6 and problems still here what's left is volume/balance pot, and cabling.
    then start following the signal path using 1khz injected at a line input and follow the signal
    with your oscilloscope.

zapped1

Post by zapped1 Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:15 pm

Thanks Peter,
    Q1. Yes, I was told the channel was silent
    Q2. line input was being used
    Q3. When you say cabling; I assume you are talking about internal wiring/cabling?? Or are you referring to interconnect cabling? I make my own interconnects, I use Canare L4E6S and I checked them on another system. I do not own an oscilloscope; I'm pretty "new" to this so haven't made that purchase (yet)
    I did follow the manual precisely and checked off the steps list for the wiring; double checked all caps/resistors as well. Didn't find and "cold" solders; checked every one
    Is there any to check the pots without a scope? Thanks again for your insight/help
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:25 am

zapped1 wrote:Thanks Peter,
    Q1. Yes, I was told the channel was silent
    Q2. line input was being used
    Q3. When you say cabling; I assume you are talking about internal wiring/cabling?? Or are you referring to interconnect cabling? I make my own interconnects, I use Canare L4E6S and I checked them on another system. I do not own an oscilloscope; I'm pretty "new" to this so haven't made that purchase (yet)
    I did follow the manual precisely and checked off the steps list for the wiring; double checked all caps/resistors as well. Didn't find and "cold" solders; checked every one
    Is there any to check the pots without a scope? Thanks again for your insight/help

Internal cabling.

As for checking without scope : yes. Leave it to someone with needed instruments. If you
    did that at the beginning it could have been cheaper the it has been so far. Replacing PC5 & PC6
    cost more then a decent repair visit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 pm