The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Wire used for the ST120 connections.

Gabriel

Wire used for the ST120 connections. Empty Wire used for the ST120 connections.

Post by Gabriel Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:58 am

Hi

I know that 20 gauge wire is the recommended wire for all connections.
    I noticed that most of the wires from the power transformer are thicker than the 20 gauge wire.
    For example, the brown wires from the power transformer connect to pins 2 & 7, V7.
    The connections to pins 2 & 7, V7 are extended to pins 2 & 7, V6.
    Do I use the 20 gauge wire, which is thinner than the brown wire, or use the same gauge wire (brown) for the connection from pins 2 & 7, V7 to pins 2 & 7, V6?
    My concern is that wires carry different voltages or am I overthinking the situation.
    I hope my post makes sense.
    Thanks
    Gabriel

Wire used for the ST120 connections. Empty Re: Wire used for the ST120 connections.

Post by Gabriel Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 am

I have another question, is it ok to use eye terminals for the amplifier output connections, ie black, brown and orange wires from the output transformers to the output terminals?
    Thanks
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Wire used for the ST120 connections. Empty Re: Wire used for the ST120 connections.

Post by pedrocols Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:30 pm

Gabriel wrote:
    I have another question, is it ok to use eye terminals for the amplifier output connections, ie black, brown and orange wires from the output transformers to the output terminals?
    Thanks
    I used 18 gauge for my m125 and so far is all good after 6 years. That is what was supplied when I purchased the kit back in 2015.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:54 pm

I finished building mine Sunday.  I think 20 g is fine.  But wire isn't wire. Typical hardware store wire is rated to 60V.  An electronics store will have wire rated to 300V.  Use that. There should be enough in the kit not to need to go out and buy more.  Partway through it won't seem like you have enough, but when you get to the last page of the instructions there isn't much wire being used.  Wires you do need were installed on one end earlier. I had about 3' left over.  If you read the tiny print on the supplied wire it is 300V.

And since you mentioned it, I did use an eye terminal on one of the black terminals (the one that needs two wires going to it) since space was a little tight and it just seemed easier.

Gabriel likes this post

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply.
    It’s most likely I am overthinking the situation.
    Do you think there will be any issues if I use the excess brown wire from the power transformer to extend the connection from pins 2&7 V7 to the same pins, V6?
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the same wire for the above connection?
    Thanks

krcrisp wrote:I finished building mine Sunday.  I think 20 g is fine.  But wire isn't wire. Typical hardware store wire is rated to 60V.  An electronics store will have wire rated to 300V.  Use that. There should be enough in the kit not to need to go out and buy more.  Partway through it won't seem like you have enough, but when you get to the last page of the instructions there isn't much wire being used.  Wires you do need were installed on one end earlier. I had about 3' left over.  If you read the tiny print on the supplied wire it is 300V.

And since you mentioned it, I did use an eye terminal on one of the black terminals (the one that needs two wires going to it) since space was a little tight and it just seemed easier.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:09 pm

In my build I did use a piece of the transformer left over wire after clipping one of the lead shorter.  It is obviously very high quality wire.  After doing that once, I realized it was stiffer and more awkward to work with and I went back to the wire that came with the kit.  I honestly don't remember a jumper wire going from V7 to V6.
    Gabriel

Post by Gabriel Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:19 am

Hi

I noticed that my power transformer wires, in particular the white, green and brown are thicker than the same colour wires for most of the amps posted on this forum.
    It made it extremely difficult to twist the wires to the same degree displayed in most of the amps in this forum.
    I finished my amp build a few weeks ago.
    ST120.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 pm