The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work

gpdavid

dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work Empty dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work

Post by gpdavid Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 am

hej guys, i just bought a dynaco sca-35 to get into tube amps. the spare in works great and i can listen to music from my computer. but the right speeker only makes a buzzing noise when using the phone in. what could the problem be? the tubes seem to all be lighting up..
    cheers guys!
    dynacophil
    dynacophil

dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work Empty Re: dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work

Post by dynacophil Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi David
    Phone in? You mean phono in? what do you feed the phono in with? Is the source you feed into phono (a record player) unsuspect? If it's proven no failure of the source...
    At first I'd check the tube sockets and pins for good contact and then resolder all joints from input to the end of phono stage...to my oldtimer experience solderjoints are 90% of the failures Smile if this won't help... somebody will chime in...

Helge

Last edited by dynacophil on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gpdavid

dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work Empty Re: dynaco sca-35 phono amplification on right speeker doesn't work

Post by gpdavid Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

jup i mean phono in Smile it's indeed a record player which i tested on another amp and it works fine there.. if i decide not to fix the problem, could that damage the working components?
    dynacophil
    dynacophil

Post by dynacophil Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:48 pm

as long you don't know what the problem is u can't tell ... so - diagnosis is necessary.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi,

Try the obvious first by swapping the two 12AX7 tubes on the PC-11 phono board which is under the selector switch. If the noise moves to the other channel just replace the bad tube. I have a feeling though that a tube is not your problem. It's probably some component on the PC-11 phono board.

It could alo be a bad connection on one of the wires that connects to this board. You can try resoldering all the wires that lead into the eyelets on that PC-11 phono board. Also check the 6 wires that connect on the BOTTOM of the phono board and resolder them too.

Bob
    ejc

Post by ejc Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Hi,

Try the obvious first by swapping the two 12AX7 tubes on the PC-11 phono board which is under the selector switch. If the noise moves to the other channel just replace the bad tube. I have a feeling though that a tube is not your problem. It's probably some component on the PC-11 phono board.

It could alo be a bad connection on one of the wires that connects to this board. You can try resoldering all the wires that lead into the eyelets on that PC-11 phono board. Also check the 6 wires that connect on the BOTTOM of the phono board and resolder them too.

Bob

Along those lines, Dynaco used solid core wire back then. My experience with my PAT-4 found these wires to be fragile and several just fell into my hand when touched.

Also check the selector switch. I found a broken wafwr on mine causing one of the inputs to drop out on 1 channel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:29 pm