The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

SP 9 Chassis Layout

TN Allen

SP 9 Chassis Layout Empty SP 9 Chassis Layout

Post by TN Allen Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I've started mocking up a custom SP9 chassis layout in which the toroid transformer would be located for the most part under the power supply section of the PCB. The overall preamp width and depth would be close to the PCB dimensions, perhaps 6"X8", and the preamp would be about 5" high. I'm wondering if the transformer location beneath the PCB would create problems. I intend to fabricate the chassis using 1/4" Aluminum plate and can isolate the transformer putting the plate between the transformer, PCB and front panel, which can also be isolated with Aluminum plate. There would be about 1/2-3/4" between the top of the transformer(horizontal orientation) and the bottom of the PCB.

The front panel would lie along one 8" edge of the PCB, the input and output jacks would be behind the PCB along what would be the back of the PCB and within the length of the PCB that includes the 12AX7 tubes, in other words, as far as possible from the transformer and power supply section of the PCB.

peterh
    peterh

SP 9 Chassis Layout Empty Re: SP 9 Chassis Layout

Post by peterh Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 am

TN Allen wrote:I've started mocking up a custom SP9 chassis layout in which the toroid transformer would be located for the most part under the power supply section of the PCB. The overall preamp width and depth would be close to the PCB dimensions, perhaps 6"X8", and the preamp would be about 5" high. I'm wondering if the transformer location beneath the PCB would create problems. I intend to fabricate the chassis using 1/4" Aluminum plate and can isolate the transformer putting the plate between the transformer, PCB and front panel, which can also be isolated with Aluminum plate. There would be about 1/2-3/4" between the top of the transformer(horizontal orientation) and the bottom of the PCB.

The front panel would lie along one 8" edge of the PCB, the input and output jacks would be behind the PCB along what would be the back of the PCB and within the length of the PCB that includes the 12AX7 tubes, in other words, as far as possible from the transformer and power supply section of the PCB.  

Aluminium plates won't isolate the magnetic fields. You will need steel ( or my-metal) for that. Even better, locate the transformer further away.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 pm

If I use steel, what thickness do you recommend?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 pm

TN Allen wrote:If I use steel, what thickness do you recommend?
    Normal "soft steel" , i guess 1mm will screen most magnetics, but i'll leave the exact answer to more knowledgeable person.

Stainless won't do however ! IT's non-magnetic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am