The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+14
HarryY
Tube Nube
Dogstar
Dave_in_Va
skriefal
Ernstmach
eatabagel
10-E-C
peterh
chad1376
cci1492
LeGrace
vtshopdog
deepee99
18 posters

I know we've had this chat before, that vinyl is poised to surpass CD sales in very near future

audiobill

I know we've had this chat before, that vinyl is poised to surpass CD sales in very near future - Page 2 Empty Re: I know we've had this chat before, that vinyl is poised to surpass CD sales in very near future

Post by audiobill Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 am

For me, I highly value Tidal's streaming service -30-50 million tracks at lossless (cd quality) resolution for $11.99 per month (including veteran's discount).

Convenient, no end to choice, great sonics and low price - you couldn't buy one new cd a month for that price.

Also, I think some confuse streaming with downloading - different things.

Amazon just announced a lossless streaming service for $12.99 / month, and it's rumored that Apple and Spotify will soon follow.

I just don't get clinging to physical digital media in this age. Vinyl for some, maybe, but that's about it.

Bill

MechEngVic likes this post

chad1376
    chad1376

I know we've had this chat before, that vinyl is poised to surpass CD sales in very near future - Page 2 Empty Re: I know we've had this chat before, that vinyl is poised to surpass CD sales in very near future

Post by chad1376 Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 pm

I might need to give Tidal a try. Qobuz is good to a point, but I keep looking for more obscure artists, and coming back with a blank.

Spotify kind of has the opposite problem. The depth is pretty good, but for more popular artists, you have to sort through multiple-multiple versions of "best-of" and compilation albums - all with more-or-less the same stuff. I like to listen to songs from the original albums, in the order they were originally presented. All that tends to be on the bottom of the list.

Amazon - I might have to take a look. Problem is, I already spend too much of my expendable income on Amazon, buying crap I don't really need Wink
    chad1376
    chad1376

Post by chad1376 Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Follow up - on Amazon.  I went ahead and signed up for the 90-day trial.
    1)  Can't stream high-res via a browser - you have to have the desktop app.
    2)  My main listening computer is running Linux
    3)  They don't have a desktop app for Linux.

So, that's no Bueno!  Too bad, I'll need to unsubscribe before they start billing me.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm

chad1376 wrote:Follow up - on Amazon.  I went ahead and signed up for the 90-day trial.
    1)  Can't stream high-res via a browser - you have to have the desktop app.
    2)  My main listening computer is running Linux
    3)  They don't have a desktop app for Linux.

So, that's no Bueno!  Too bad, I'll need to unsubscribe before they start billing me.

I think if you can run Squeebox on your iPhone you might be in luck, though I've tried it and the only option is iPeng, which doesn't see the Amazon thing.
    So I did same as you. Signed on for the free Amazon trial, then get off before the bills come. Tidal suits my "big system" needs just fine, and for the den for background music, free Spotify.
    Go Tidal, and thanks for the tip on that many years ago, Bill.
    alexaudio
    alexaudio

Post by alexaudio Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:39 am

Ernstmach wrote:"chad1376 wrote:
    With high-res streaming services available, why purchase physical digital media?"

That's great if that works for you.
    With the poor internet service I have I would never rely on that to provide music.
    Owning physical media is a thing of the past, which is where I exist..
    I use the internet to purchase my physical media.
    Absolutely, that's what I thought. But some people like to stick with the physical media rather than streaming. I often seen turntables are still used by people in homes, as they know there are much more advancements in music industry.
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:38 am

I have over 500 LP's and about 1500 CD's. All stuffed into the corners of my garage. I was the biggest streaming skeptic until I got my little Chromecast Audio. I figured, why not try it. At 30 bucks, I won't mind too much when it gets relegated to the garage. But no, it's the CD's and LP's in the garage.

You can say what you want about a post-internet apocalypse, or ownership issues. NOTHING beats being able to press a few times on my tablet and listen to any song I could ever, in my twisted, never-ending effort to find that song from way back, think of; or listen to unlimited music I've never heard before.... Instantly; not after a search-intensive trip the the record store. More time in front of the speakers. And all in 16/44 or higher.

If the internet ever goes out, I can always listen to the 30,000 songs I have on my computer.

wgallupe likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm