The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

upgrading to the VTA 70 driver board with octal sockets

kiwidad

upgrading to the VTA 70 driver board with octal sockets Empty upgrading to the VTA 70 driver board with octal sockets

Post by kiwidad Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:41 pm

I am considering this upgrade and had read some differing opinions over the extra heater current used by the octal tubes. My ST70 (Factory wired from 65) has the smaller little over an in ch stack PA60. some say this is an issue. would I be better off just sticking with the non octal board?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

upgrading to the VTA 70 driver board with octal sockets Empty Re: upgrading to the VTA 70 driver board with octal sockets

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 pm

kiwidad wrote:I am considering this upgrade and had read some differing opinions over the extra heater current used by the octal tubes. My ST70 (Factory wired from 65) has the smaller little over an in ch stack PA60. some say this is an issue. would I be better off just sticking with the non octal board?

Personally I would not recommend the VTA octal driver board if you have an ORIGINAL Dynaco ST-70 with an original Dynaco power transformer. The VTA octal driver board will draw almost 1 full amp of extra current over the standard 12AU7 noval board. This will stress out an already undersized (and 55 year old) original PA-060 power transformer. My recommendation is that you stick with our classic noval VTA driver board.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm