The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

chassis fabricators

baddog1946
    baddog1946

chassis fabricators Empty chassis fabricators

Post by baddog1946 Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I don't know if this taboo but can anyone tell me who makes the stainless chassis for the ST-70/120?
    I'm thinking of a few chassis changes but cutting stainless that thick is a b@#*ch.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

chassis fabricators Empty Re: chassis fabricators

Post by Bob Latino Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:45 pm

baddog1946 wrote:I don't know if this taboo but can anyone tell me who makes the stainless chassis for the ST-70/120?
    I'm thinking of a few chassis changes but cutting stainless that thick is a b@#*ch.

Hi Baddog,

Sorry but I can't tell you where I get the chassis for the ST-70/ST-120 amp kit. I will say that in the "For Sale" area of this forum I do have some "blem" stainless chassis for about 2/3 the price of a new one. These are very light blems that didn't quite pass inspection. They have a few minor surface marks.

If you want to alter the chassis they cut fairly easy with a Dremel type tool with a cutting wheel. They also drill fine as long as you use a quality drill bit made for drilling metal. It is best to drill (or cut) these chassis from the inside of the chassis in case you make a mistake or the drill bit slides off the point. If you have a drill press then that makes the drilling easier but you can do a creditable job with a hand drill.

Bob
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Hey Bob:
    I thought so and that's fair enough. You need to do business and I understand your concerns. Thanks for the offer regarding the blemished discounted chassis.
    The problem is that I want holes where the are none and no holes where there are holes in the stock model I am contemplating relocating the tube holes to a curved array for the outputs and no can cap on the top.
    I'm working on the concept in this project for an amp that is similar to an ST-120 electronically but more along the lines aesthetically of an ST-70 I saw on "Wardsweb" a while back.
    Any chance I could get a quote from you if I sent you a diagram of what I had in mind? Would there be a lot of tooling up for something like that? I don't know how its done but if it is possible I want to go with stainless.
    I would kind of like the board set up with only the tubes on the top and the board itself on short standoffs underneath the chassis this would allow some stuff to be on top of the board but under the top of the chassis out of sight. It would have to be a little thicker to pull it off. I'm thinking another 2 inches for a total thickness of slightly over 4 inches should allow the caps etc. to mount from the bottom. Might use a bigger choke instead of two chokes if I have the space to do so.

I thought about aluminumm but it is tacky compared to the Stainless chassis' look. Not as stiff either.
    I guess I will have to keep on looking into the options. I will still buy all the ST-120 parts as a kit from you when the chassis thing is resolved. Maybe those new trannies could work their way onto this project as well when they are available.Thanks anyway
    cheers
    Baddog1946
    ViperZ
    ViperZ

Post by ViperZ Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 am

Just buy the kit from Bob without the chassis. Many distributors sell various chassis/boxes built by Hammond. It will be a very interesting project to make your own chassis for the amp. The amp will definitely look unique.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 am

Hi Baddog,
    did you ever consider doing a chassis like these ?
    www.tubes4hifi.com/st80a.jpg" alt=""/> www.tubes4hifi.com/st80a.jpg
    www.tubes4hifi.com/st120b.jpg" alt=""/> www.tubes4hifi.com/st120b.jpg
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi:
    Yes nice designs, that's the clean looking idea I like with everything out of sight except the tubes. The thing is that I have already completed three plate on wood projects and I am looking for something else to try.
    I will probably do a base for the amp along the lines of an amp I saw a few months ago on "Wardsweb.com" but I will use solid Cocobolo wood because I can buy it here in Costa Rica cheap.
    I just bought a 16 inch square by 10 foot long log of it for $100 US. to make a stereo rack.

I will put up a couple of pics as soon as I figure out how to post pics on this site of the rack design and the wardsweb unit I like. Give me a day or two and I will have them up I hope.
    I could use a tip on where to put up the pics and link them to this site though. How did you do it?
    Cheers
    Baddog1946

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 am