The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
peterh
JohnS
6 posters

mk 3 tubes

JohnS

mk 3 tubes Empty mk 3 tubes

Post by JohnS Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:03 pm

I am finishing up my mk 3 and started looking for tubes. It seems that there is not much choose in tubes. Most places are either out of stock or the price is out of my price range. was wondering if jj tubes are any good.
    peterh
    peterh

mk 3 tubes Empty Re: mk 3 tubes

Post by peterh Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:42 am

JohnS wrote:I am finishing up my mk 3 and started looking for tubes. It seems that there is not much choose in tubes. Most places are either out of stock or the price is out of my price range. was wondering if jj tubes are any good.

JJ 6550 and KT88 works fine in MkIII
    Eurotubes.com sells them matched and with warranty
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:32 am

For my critical listening, I prefer Gold Lion tubes. In my opinion, JJ's are good for guitar amps. Check out vcuumtubevalues.com. Good prices on matched sets.
    j.click

Post by j.click Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 am

I have a service tech who says JJ tubes stands for 'Just Junk' - he is obviously not a fan. Usually there are other (and better) options...
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:53 pm

j.click wrote:I have a service tech who says JJ tubes stands for 'Just Junk' - he is obviously not a fan. Usually there are other (and better) options...

I have been running a quad of JJ 6L6GC for the last 3 years daily. No problems at all. Also have a quad of JJ KT66. Again no issues.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:22 pm

j.click wrote:I have a service tech who says JJ tubes stands for 'Just Junk' - he is obviously not a fan. Usually there are other (and better) options...

We have such technicians here too. Just avoid them.
    j.click

Post by j.click Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:53 pm

Not always. I tried a JJ 5AR4 in my ST70 and it crapped out after a few weeks. I replaced it with a Tungsol 5AR4 and never had a problem. Different horses for different courses....
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:03 pm

j.click wrote:Not always. I tried a JJ 5AR4 in my ST70 and it crapped out after a few weeks. I replaced it with a Tungsol 5AR4 and never had a problem. Different horses for different courses....
    Yeah, the JJ 5AR4 is the exception. Though they seem to have gotten better lately.
    ixe13

Post by ixe13 Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:50 am

One of the older tube I've been using is a JJ 5AR4 on one of my QuadII and it still going and it is still testing very strong on my Eico 667. I just replaced it recently, I'm not gonna push my luck only because it's getting "old"... I had failures on some expensive tube and on cheaper tubes brands. All these failure where on amps that were operating well within spec. After all this, all I can say that I cant say which tube is better than the other one Wink. As for the sound, not much difference between different brand of the same type of tube. The biggest difference I've seen in the sound, is when I tried different spreakers.

Tubes4ever likes this post

JohnS

mk 3 tubes Empty mk3 tubes

Post by JohnS Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:20 pm

I just can not afford the Genelex kt 88s and I don't think they will get cheaper any time soon. Along with Sovtek 6550WEs. When I got these amp out to look in to repairing them the kt88 where about 350.00 a quad now I found a pair for 400 or 800 for my amps.I figure i will have to try something else for a few years. I have not heard much about electro-haromix tubes. I tested the amps with dynaco 6550 had a good sound but hard to tell with only one channel at a time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm