The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+19
DarthBubba
harpy
Blitzen
bigsmall
arledgsc
Sprags
Pillo69
Tom
Windup
Maintarget
dubplatecutter
charlief64
GP49
sKiZo
anbitet66
hawaii.ken
buchela
Rich
Bob Latino
23 posters

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads - Page 3 Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am

I have had a few people Email me about what "kinds" of tracks are put up. I only have here jazz and classic rock/pop tracks. I do not have any classical tracks or modern pop music. What I will be doing is alternating on a weekly basis jazz tracks with classic rock/pop tracks.

Every Sunday or Monday there will be new tracks until I run out of tracks ....

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sprags

HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads - Page 3 Empty Re: HD FLAC files as source music files - Some FREE downloads

Post by Sprags Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

Bob...I just figured you knew what kind of music I liked. Smile
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I tried some HD Tracks, but was wondering where do they get the extra music information. Most of the stuff I like comes AAD. If the CD is already showing the limitations of the original tape recording is there any reason to go with a 96/24 recording for older music? I could see on DDD music where it would have the extra information.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Some of the earlier audio that is on tape can have the sound improved if the original master tape is REmastered and then digitized to 24 bit @ higher sampling rates than CD's 44.1 KHz. Some of the Eagles stuff that I had up there a couple of weeks ago sounds so much better remastered and digitized to 24 bit @ 192 KHz. You are correct though in that SOME of the earlier recordings that have been remastered etc. don't really sound any better than earlier CD versions.

On another note .. I had someone Email me and ask "How the HD tracks are made?" there are two ways that I know.

1. From SACD's. Now I know that no SACD player will output the digital stream over the digital out - BUT - some hackers found out that certain models of the Sony PS3 (Playstation 3) player made in about 2006 or 2007 are SACD compatible AND can have their operating system "reworked" to output SACD in the digital domain as PCM. The PCM digital output is then made into 24 bit HD files. Sony has closed the loophole on the more recent PS3 players and they are now no longer SACD compatible. NOTE - THIS way IMHO is the best way to create a high quality HD track.

2. From high quality vinyl. If you send the analog signal from your phono preamp to the RCA inputs of your computer, you can use a FREE program like Audacity to change the analog signal to a digital signal. Those who do this usually have very expensive turntables/ phono preamps etc. and the result is very good.

Just recently, some SACD players will now send an SACD digital stream over the HDMI cable to your receiver. Previously it had only been the Dolby Digital or DTS track that was on movies being played that was sent in the digital domain. Those players, however, would not send the SACD DSD digital stream to the player's digital out OR over the HDMI cable. I am sure that someone will figure out soon how to use the SACD DSD stream as sent over HDMI to create HD tracks.

Bob
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Bob Latino wrote:2. From high quality vinyl. If you send the analog signal from your phono preamp to the RCA inputs of your computer, you can use a FREE program like Audacity to change the analog signal to a digital signal. Those who do this usually have very expensive turntables/ phono preamps etc. and the result is very good.
    Last month I was searching for something on you tube and I ran into a video of someone auditioning some HiFi equipment using Adele's "Lovesong" as the source. I was impressed so I searched for a FLAC version and the only FLAC version I could find was a vinyl rip.

Those vinyl rips of Adele's 19 & 21 albums are a perfect example of how NOT to do a vinyl rip. I can actually hear the rubber wheel of the rim-drive turntable. Ignoring the poor quality turntable the overall sound quality of the vinyl rips led me to purchase both albums.
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Yea I was looking into the PS3 to rip my SACD. I have the correct model, but the firmware is 3.7. Downgrading the firmware can be done, but is a pain. I have a program that will pull audio tracks from Blu-Rays. Some emersion packs have Blu-Rays that contain a 2 channel HD version of the album (Dark Side of the Moon). I am not promoting hacking, but I have some SACD I can't play and if I ever drop $120 on an emersion pack, I consider moving the audio from the disc to my computer fair game.
    I have bought some HD music here: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php
    I have just built a tiny computer that plays HD music (ATV2 before). Dac tops out at 96/24, but my upgrade should be here Tuesday and let me enter the 192/24 world. Thanks Bob, very interesting.
    bigsmall

Post by bigsmall Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:47 am

BOB.
    Thank again
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Actually found a service on EBay that will flash your PS3 to version 3.55 and do a full cleaning for $60. Cheaper than the E-Flasher. Rounded up and downloaded the ripping software last night. May give it a whirl.
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey Bob; thanks for all these tracks. cheers I hope that you can cycle through them a few times so that those of us late to the party can get access to the ones that have already been taken down due to space limits. Sleep
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 am

After hearing a few songs by Diana Krall I bought the CD 'The Girl In The Other Room' at a store in town that sells used CD's. I enjoyed it very much. When I saw Bob uploaded some more Diana Krall songs I thought I'd really enjoy them. To be honest when I connected my laptop to my preamp with a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect cable I wasn't really crazy about the sound. Perhaps it's the FLAC player I have. I found a couple of free ones and I think they're bad. I need to find the codec that lets me use Windows Media Player as a FLAC player.

I guess I should have also checked the downloads of some of the songs. I didn't and when I finally checked them out they were distorted and the overall sound quality is terrible.

Not sure why that happened. I found that if I download each song separately I have better luck. When I downloaded them as a group in one zip file I've had bad luck. Not sure why...just that it did what it did.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 am

Sprags wrote:I need to find the codec that lets me use Windows Media Player as a FLAC player.
    Have you tried foobar2000?
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 am

Nope...I'll track it down and give it a shot.

What I did find a few weeks ago was a freeware FLAC player for my iPad 3. It actually played the first songs I downloaded pretty good and sonically the musically good. Unfortunately it only played the first 2 minutes then stopped. I forgot the name but I think the complete version was 5 bucks. I'd like to find out if I transfer the songs to a wifi HDD I got specifically for my iPad3 if it will play the songs on that HDD through my iPad. If it will then I don't have problem going that route. It's a 500 gig HDD and the iPad3 isn't as noisy as the laptop nor does it get hot like the laptop. The laptop really needs a cooler and the fans are loud. ...sure wish there was a USB port on the iPad. That's my only complaint.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:21 am

Sprags wrote:After hearing a few songs by Diana Krall I bought the CD 'The Girl In The Other Room' at a store in town that sells used CD's. I enjoyed it very much. When I saw Bob uploaded some more Diana Krall songs I thought I'd really enjoy them. To be honest when I connected my laptop to my preamp with a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect cable I wasn't really crazy about the sound. Perhaps it's the FLAC player I have. I found a couple of free ones and I think they're bad. I need to find the codec that lets me use Windows Media Player as a FLAC player.

I guess I should have also checked the downloads of some of the songs. I didn't and when I finally checked them out they were distorted and the overall sound quality is terrible.

Not sure why that happened. I found that if I download each song separately I have better luck. When I downloaded them as a group in one zip file I've had bad luck. Not sure why...just that it did what it did.

Hi Blake,

To really hear HD tracks as you should from a PC, you need a better DAC than the DAC that is found in your laptop computer. When you use the miniplug out to a dual RCA connector from your laptop, you are using the laptop's DAC and then sending the signal to your amp (or preamp) in the analog domain. Any DAC found inside a computer is usually of low quality and was put in the computer to keep the price down. Don't expect too much from any DAC found inside a computer.

I think all "tower" type computers have an RCA digital out on the back. Laptop computers AFAIK do not have a digital out but they do have a few USB ports. There are upgrade DAC's out there that will plug direcly into the USB port of a laptop and will pick up the digital signal through the USB line inside your computer. Even the inexpensive Chinese USB DAC's that you can buy on Ebay for $100 - $150 or so will sound much better than the DAC inside the computer. Earlier in this thread the USA made Schitt Modi ($99) DAC was mentioned.

If you have a tower type computer, you can also change out the sound card - BUT - really good sound cards cost more than a high quality outboard DAC.

Bob
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Connecting my ipad the same way as the laptop players the music fine. The laptop players music terribly the same way.
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Bob Latino wrote: I think all "tower" type computers have an RCA digital out on the back. Laptop computers AFAIK do not have a digital out but they do have a few USB ports. There are upgrade DAC's out there that will plug direcly into the USB port of a laptop and will pick up the digital signal through the USB line inside your computer. Even the inexpensive Chinese USB DAC's that you can buy on Ebay for $100 - $150 or so will sound much better than the DAC inside the computer. Earlier in this thread the USA made Schitt Modi ($99) DAC was mentioned.

If you have a tower type computer, you can also change out the sound card - BUT - really good sound cards cost more than a high quality outboard DAC. Bob

My motherboard certainly has an S/PDIF output and an input connector that requires purchase of an input cable, but do motherboards have reasonably high quality digitizers? The bigger issue for me is the whole business of getting the analogue (disk->phono preamp->out) signal on to the computer so that I can FLAC it. I'm not finding a lot of ADCs (as opposed to DACs) out there. There's the NAD PP-3i, but what else? There are tube DACs, are there any tube ADCs? (Just to stay on topic).

How did you do it, Bob?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:23 pm

I have two computers here .. My personal business (tower type) computer and my wife's Dell laptop. For playing FLAC files on my tower type computer, I used the digital out into a Bel Canto DAC 2 DAC (24 bits @ up to 192 KHz) that I had on another system. The other system now has a Sony 5400 SACD player with a built in DAC. The Bel Canto DAC directly feeds a VTA ST-120 in my workshop and I use the stepped attenuator on the VTA ST-120 to control volume. The DAC makes a big difference in sound quality over the DAC inside the computer.

I don't create the FLAC files myself. I get them from from someone who knows how to create the HD FLAC files.

Bob
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Bob Latino wrote: I don't create the FLAC files myself. I get them from from someone who knows how to create the HD FLAC files.
    Bob

So could he write a short tutorial on how he does it?

Seriously, I'm not real sure that I trust the RealTek sound chip in my computer. It's much louder on the right channel than the left during playback. I'd rather have an external ADC feeding into the computer via the USB, or S/PDIF.

Just as a point of amusement; do any of the FLAC codecs use video card GPUs during the lossless compression?
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 pm

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

This item must be quite new, there is no downloadable manual for it on their site.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Here is a link with an explanation of how to use the Sony PS3 Playstation player to rip SACD's to 24 bit PCM (WAV files). You then put the WAV file into the FLAC program and then have FLAC ENCODE the 24 bit WAV file to a 24 bit FLAC file.

How to make 24 bit FLAC files from SACD

Bob
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 pm

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

harpy wrote:http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/AP192_UG_EN1.pdf

Manual, it's in their Delta Series.

Not the most intuitive labeling. Embarassed But they have Win 7 x86 and x64 drivers! cheers Seeing Win XP-SP1 listed as the latest OS in their manual was a bit scary for a moment. affraid

Any idea about the price? That's probably scary too...
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 am

Amazon has them new for $125.00 and a used one for $80.00.
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm

harpy wrote:Amazon has them new for $125.00 and a used one for $80.00.

I'm at work and am blocked from Amazon by my employer's firewall (but not blocked from DynacoTubeAudio, thankfully).

I see that the M-Audio 192 uses TRS connectors, A.K.A. phone plugs, rather than RCA plugs. Looks like I may have to warm up the soldering iron again. Laughing
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Amazon has TSR to RCA cables for $6.11.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am