The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+13
rustybutt
fredeb
Brap
gouldglen
tdembsky
tgrier
ttownscott
Latts
New2Tubez
knotscott
Bob Latino
ramon68
raudio44
17 posters

ST-70 speaker recommendation?

raudio44

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty ST-70 speaker recommendation?

Post by raudio44 Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:25 am

This has to be a very subjective question asked many times, but looking for a good efficient speaker match for my original (but updated) ST-70. My room is not large and in an apartment. placement is problematic and maybe no clear rear opening to the front wall. I mention this thinking that rear ported speakers are not optimal but won't exclude them in suggestions.

Need bookshelves and looking to use 24" stands. Years ago I had asked this somewhere else (before I found this great forum) and got turned on to the Andrew Jones Pioneer SP BS22-LRs. After reading a year long tread on these I got a pair modified by Dennis Murphy from Philharmonic. Inexpensive but highly rated. They are 6 ohm and I don't know if that is an issue with the 70. (Maybe spoiled from many many years listening to my Dahlquist DQ-10s) want to try for something better that matches my amp and system (Citation I Preamp). Looking at maybe going say $500. want to get my system 'set' or close to it. Did come across Klipsch RP 600M just for reference. Was looking for efficiency (don't know about horn driven but am open to advice).

General reference:

Fisher 100B tuner
    Citation I preamp
    ST-70 amp
    Nakamichi 580 cassette
    NAD 515BEE CD player

Hope everyone and your families are well.

Thanks for reading.
    ramon68

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty Re: ST-70 speaker recommendation?

Post by ramon68 Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:07 am

Tekton Mini Lore is a small floorstander with the same footprint as a stand mounted speaker and is an efficient honest design. Great bang for the buck.

raudio44 and fredeb like this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:23 am

raudio44 wrote:This has to be a very subjective question asked many times, but looking for a good efficient speaker match for my original (but updated) ST-70. My room is not large and in an apartment. placement is problematic and maybe no clear rear opening to the front wall. I mention this thinking that rear ported speakers are not optimal but won't exclude them in suggestions.

Need bookshelves and looking to use 24" stands. Years ago I had asked this somewhere else (before I found this great forum) and got turned on to the Andrew Jones Pioneer SP BS22-LRs. After reading a year long tread on these I got a pair modified by Dennis Murphy from Philharmonic. Inexpensive but highly rated. They are 6 ohm and I don't know if that is an issue with the 70. (Maybe spoiled from many many years listening to my Dahlquist DQ-10s) want to try for something better that matches my amp and system (Citation I Preamp). Looking at maybe going say $500. want to get my system 'set' or close to it. Did come across Klipsch RP 600M just for reference. Was looking for efficiency (don't know about horn driven but am open to advice).

General reference:

Fisher 100B tuner
    Citation I preamp
    ST-70 amp
    Nakamichi 580 cassette
    NAD 515BEE CD player

Thanks for reading.

Since the Dynaco ST-70 (and our VTA version of the ST-70) are 35 watt per channel amps, you should consider fairly efficient speakers in the 95 dB and up efficiency range. High efficiency speakers will allow good volume out of modest sized amps like the ST-70. I have a number of customers who use Klipsch speakers and really like them. Check out the Forte, Heresey and Cornwall models. They are not cheap speakers but are very well designed and will work well with your amp. Klipsch also has more modestly priced speakers if you look around on their web site. Link below ..

Klipsch speakers

Bob

raudio44 likes this post

raudio44

Post by raudio44 Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:25 pm

ramon68 wrote:Tekton Mini Lore is a small floorstander with the same footprint as a stand mounted speaker and is an efficient honest design. Great bang for the buck.

Thanks for the lead, will look into them. Appreciate it.
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    raudio44 wrote:This has to be a very subjective question asked many times, but looking for a good efficient speaker match for my original (but updated) ST-70. My room is not large and in an apartment. placement is problematic and maybe no clear rear opening to the front wall. I mention this thinking that rear ported speakers are not optimal but won't exclude them in suggestions.

General reference:

Fisher 100B tuner
    Citation I preamp
    ST-70 amp
    Nakamichi 580 cassette
    NAD 515BEE CD player

Thanks for reading.

Since the Dynaco ST-70 (and our VTA version of the ST-70) are 35 watt per channel amps, you should consider fairly efficient speakers in the 95 dB and up efficiency range. High efficiency speakers will allow good volume out of modest sized amps like the ST-70. I have a number of customers who use Klipsch speakers and really like them. Check out the Forte, Heresey and Cornwall models. They are not cheap speakers but are very well designed and will work well with your amp. Klipsch also has more modestly priced speakers if you look around on their web site. Link below ..

Klipsch speakers

Bob

Thanks Bob, In my cursory searches, the RP-600M caught my eye a short time ago. Not sure how good they are but if I had been ready at the time I missed them for $377 pair at azn. I think the other models you mentioned are beyond my budget and need. Yes I know I need efficient speakers and well, not sure what else to look at. In another reply, the MINI LORE was mentioned as worth a look. Again may be stretching the budget too much and what I need and can place in the room.

thanks
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:14 pm

As you suggested, speakers are very subjective....like picking a favorite color.  

- Focal Chorus 605
    - Triangle Borea BR03
    - ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
    - SVS Prime Bookshelf

All meet your criteria and a have good audiophile following.

A small speaker will tend to be less efficient, but is also less likely to excite bass modes in a smallish room.  Listen to as many as you can, and buy what you love.  You can always add a powered sub to fray later if you think you need more bass.

Here's one man's view of the best $500 speakers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1UF0sWNdQ

My speakers are 89db efficiency and play plenty loud for my tastes in a fairly large room with Dyna/VTA 70 amps.

Last edited by knotscott on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

raudio44 likes this post

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Another Klipsch option- pre owned.

If you're at all handy /willing to wait, you could probably find a pair of Heresy in your price range.

The Klipsch forum is going through an update at the moment but they have a garage sale area and you could get a ball park of prices as well as looking on CL, etc. Most sellers aren't willing to ship, so think local.

This could be worth your while. Good luck!

*Forum up and running:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/63-garage-sale/
    But there's useful info all over...

Last edited by New2Tubez on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated with a link)

raudio44 likes this post

raudio44

Post by raudio44 Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:17 pm

knotscott wrote:As you suggested, speakers are very subjective....like picking a favorite color.  

- Focal Chorus 605
    - Triangle Borea BR03
    - ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
    - SVS Prime Bookshelf

All meet your criteria and a have good audiophile following.

A small speaker will tend to be less efficient, but is also less likely to excite bass modes in a smallish room.  Listen to as many as you can, and buy what you love.  You can always add a powered sub to fray later if you think you need more bass.

Here's one man's view of the best $500 speakers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1UF0sWNdQ

My speakers are 89db efficiency and play plenty loud for my tastes in a fairly large room with Dyna/VTA 70 amps.

I always forget to check the ytube when researching something. you sent a good link. I am in an apartment so the room isn't that large and placement is problematic. don't really need a sub. actually going to set up my old 'main' system at my son's with a sub on my loved Dahlquist DQ-10s. haven't heard them since 1994 and without a sub so looking forward to hearing them again.

Had been focusing on efficiency using the ST-70. I have not really used it enough to know it. The ELAC came to my attention but was again concerned if they were efficient enough at 6 ohm for the amp. I just don't know which is why I came here looking for some direction (and knowledge). You gave some direction in my search. Your reply and thoughts are really appreciated. Thanks..
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:19 pm

New2Tubez wrote:Another Klipsch option- pre owned.

If you're at all handy /willing to wait, you could probably find a pair of Heresy in your price range.

The Klipsch forum is going through an update at the moment but they have a garage sale area and you could get a ball park of prices as well as looking on CL, etc. Most sellers aren't willing to ship, so think local.

This could be worth your while. Good luck!

Looks good, more to check out. Thanks a lot, really appreciate the help.
    Latts
    Latts

Post by Latts Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:48 pm

I have a pair of Klipsch RP-280f speakers for sale. They retailed for around $1200.00, and I’m selling for &700.00. They are 2 years old, and in perfect condition. Pickup only, don’t have the boxes anymore. I’m in New Castle, Pa.
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Latts wrote:I have a pair of Klipsch RP-280f speakers for sale.  They retailed for around $1200.00, and I’m selling for &700.00. They are 2 years old, and in perfect condition.  Pickup only, don’t have the boxes anymore.  I’m in New Castle, Pa.

They look nice but are more than I need; have to go bookshelves. Then of course since I am no where near you, that leaves out local pickup. Maybe someone here will see your post and be interested.
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:11 pm

Just saw a pr of Klipsch Heresys on eBay for $500 unfortunately also in PA (nr Pittsburg). It's an example of what's out there. Not pretty but a good start if intact.
    Link too big to paste.
    ttownscott
    ttownscott

Post by ttownscott Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:20 pm

I picked up a pair of used well maintained Rega RS1 speakers for about $500 and they pair very well with my St-70 with VTA 6SN7 driver board. I have them on some LS3/5A stands. So I could recommend variations on that speaker.
    tgrier
    tgrier

Post by tgrier Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:19 pm

I run AR3A's or JBL 4312A's
    tdembsky

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty I have had luck with speaker kits from Parts-express

Post by tdembsky Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 pm

Parts-express or Madsound all carry either full kits where all you do is glue the boxes together, wire the x-over to the speakers and inputs. Nice thing about these is that you can pick different drivers from the inventory to get the efficiency that you are looking for.
    I built a pair of Triaxe from Parts-express, they are a wtmw design that sounds great through my ST-70
    ttownscott
    ttownscott

Post by ttownscott Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 pm

tdembsky wrote:Parts-express or Madsound all carry either full kits where all you do is glue the boxes together, wire the x-over to the speakers and inputs. Nice thing about these is that you can pick different drivers from the inventory to get the efficiency that you are looking for.
    I built a pair of Triaxe from Parts-express, they are a wtmw design that sounds great through my ST-70

Good suggestion on the kits if the OP is comfortable. I did the Samba from Parts-Express. They're 4 ohm, so work with the ST-70 nicely. Not with my Mk II's though.
    gouldglen

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty Spica TC 50

Post by gouldglen Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 pm

General reference:

Fisher 100B tuner
    Citation I preamp
    ST-70 amp
    Nakamichi 580 cassette
    NAD 515BEE CD player

Thanks for reading.
    You might consider looking for a used pair of Spica TC 50i's. These older speakers work incredibly well with a Dynaco Stereo 70. I had used the combo for many years. What you will end up with is outstanding levels of imaging, musicality and coherence. You can generally find these speakers on the used market for less than $500.00
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:37 am

Have had my ST-70 for 8 years now and auditioned a variety of speakers. Always have been a fan of Klipsch and the Forte's are a nice combination but they are large reproducers. Also have tried Zu Druids (SDFR design) and they sounded very nice but again, on the larger side. Had a pair of Paradigm bookshelves and albeit they are on the lower end of Paradigm's offerings, they sounded pretty good. Ended up with Fritz Carrera with Be tweeters and the combination is excellent. These speakers are the real deal and not the most efficient but, the combination with the ST-70 has amazed quite a few people -- note I do NOT use a sub either. Fritz matches components and really analyzes the speakers he makes, burn them in and guarantees his work. Cabinetry is amazing. Cant say enough, hearing is believing
    fredeb
    fredeb

Post by fredeb Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:10 pm

ramon68 wrote:Tekton Mini Lore is a small floorstander with the same footprint as a stand mounted speaker and is an efficient honest design. Great bang for the buck.

When I first read the OP's question , the first thing I thought of was a high efficiency , cloth surround driver and inherent self-damping properties , perfect for tube amps .

+1 to this suggestion .

rustybutt
    rustybutt

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty older KEF can be a good match

Post by rustybutt Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Years ago, a buddy of mine ran a pair of KEF Calinda loudspeakers powered by a Marantz 8B amp. It was magical. I'd bet that KEF loudspeakers of that vintage would match up very well with your ST-70. The Calinda and Cantata loudspeakers are hard to find used in the USA, but the later model 104ab is much more common. Shouldn't run you more than $600/pair.
    raudio44

ST-70 speaker recommendation? Empty some questions still and updated needs

Post by raudio44 Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 am

I appreciate the posts from everyone. Have been sidetracked with health/medical issues so haven't followed up with this.
    To summarize, due to my room constraints I need stand mounted bookshelf's and size does matter. So ideally need efficient, smaller, front ported. I realize compromise is a necessity. also need to reconsider how much i should spend. One question I have is what effect does running a 6ohm speaker on an 8ohm tap? Looking at Elacs and wondering how well my ST-70 will run them. Again looking for a smaller size (unfortunately is a constraint). I can't do any floor standing. Also think I want to go new and not used. So looking at one of the Elacs (again wondering about 6 ohm which I don't think is an issue) and the SVS look good but not sure at this point about spending that much unless it is a big step up. ok sorry for the ramble and confusing myself. thanks and everyone stay well.
    Rec

Post by Rec Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 am

I have the RP600m I typically drive these with a 2 watt Decware clone I built. My m125 I have been running b&w702. For fun I swapped amps and speakers. The klipsch lit right up and sounded maybe better with all that power (in contrast to 2w). It’s a great speaker. The b&w were surprisingly efficient as well but that’s another story. Dynaco/klipsch is a winning combo IMO.
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:21 am

Rec wrote:I have the RP600m I typically drive these with a 2 watt Decware clone I built. My m125 I have been running b&w702. For fun I swapped amps and speakers. The klipsch lit right up and sounded maybe better with all that power (in contrast to 2w). It’s a great speaker. The b&w were surprisingly efficient as well but that’s another story. Dynaco/klipsch is a winning combo IMO.

Thanks for the input. the 600Ms have been on my list but they will be too large for the space I have. You know i should have posted a pic of my limited wall. will try to do that soon. In general, as far as Klipsch is concerned, is there a smaller model that would be decent? that is not a big down grade from the well reviewed 600s?
    Rec

Post by Rec Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:59 am

I heard many like the 500m it’s smaller by a bit.

raudio44 likes this post

fredeb
    fredeb

Post by fredeb Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:53 pm

What is your budget ?

A small pair of speakers that I own and love to bits , is vintage pair B&W DM12 . Not so efficient , but my ST70 drives them with ease . The DM12 speakers are upper tier bookshelves from the 80's .

Absolutely incredible sound .

ST-70 speaker recommendation? 26ec-DSC_4233-0-1-1200x800

raudio44 and Rec like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 am