The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+13
rustybutt
fredeb
Brap
gouldglen
tdembsky
tgrier
ttownscott
Latts
New2Tubez
knotscott
Bob Latino
ramon68
raudio44
17 posters

ST-70 speaker recommendation?

raudio44

ST-70 speaker recommendation? - Page 2 Empty updated thoughts

Post by raudio44 Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:46 am

Again thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it. Well kind of getting back to this and came up with some prospects. With constraints in the room, I focused on size which eliminated some good options. I would appreciate some help here. FWIW, front ported would be better for my limited placement issue. I came up with the following list which is not set in stone. Kind of leaning toward Elac but not sure if my 70 can drive them (?). That is a big question I hope someone can clear up. I know the Klipsch would do well with my amp and does look like a good option, but are Klipsch too bright? also rear ported. front would be better. I realize there have to be compromises. With the ST-70 probably using HK Citation I preamp. looking for some satisfying sound considering my environment, budget (for what I need, maybe $500), and usage limitations. What may I be missing? thoughts?

Klipsch RP-500M
    ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 (there are probably better)
    SVS Prime Bookshelf (maybe too $$)
    fredeb
    fredeb

ST-70 speaker recommendation? - Page 2 Empty options , options , options

Post by fredeb Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:34 am

If I had to choose , I.d go for one of these :

ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 (there are probably better)
    SVS Prime Bookshelf (maybe too $$)

But there are also amazing speaker kits available to you guys in the states .

A madisound 2-way , MTM or Co-axial kit . When building yourself you can put the port wherever you like . Smile

Also , for that kind of money you could purchase an amazing pair of 2nd hand speakers , played in and all .  ST-70 speaker recommendation? - Page 2 1f603

I wouldn't pay much attention to the 95db and up advice . My 86db DM12's do just fine with an ST70 in a small room . Perhaps if you where in a larger room it would matter . 86db/w means 89db/2w ; 92db/4w ; 95db/8w (by now your neighbours will be complaining) 98db/16w . Every 3db SPL erquires twice the power .

Zaph|Audio ZA5.2 TM 2-Way, Pair

Zaph website

These guys build cabinets

Seas Loki kit looks awesome too

raudio44 likes this post

raudio44

ST-70 speaker recommendation? - Page 2 Empty Re: ST-70 speaker recommendation?

Post by raudio44 Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Thanks fredeb for the info. good to know about the sensitivity question.

Although I've had my amp for some years, due to many circumstances, have not used it much and really don't know this amp. Just thinking maybe it is partly because I never cared for my speakers. Also it's been since the 1970s since I even had a bookshelves as a secondary set. Been digging my DQ-10s all these years (until fall of 1994!). Hoping to get them set up for my son.

So I thought the Elac Unifi looked promising but don't know how well the amp would drive them. Thought the Klipsch RP 500M might be in the mix.

Was surprised that you didn't suggest either of them.

I may have incorrectly thought I could go a little better then the Debut 2.0 B5.2. It has good reviews I realize, but, well, maybe thrown off my the low price.

By the way, I am not interested in doing a kit. Thanks again and I would appreciate any further thoughts/ more information. My big hang up was understanding what the ST-70 can drive. You kind of cleared that up somewhat.
    Sorry for going on, just trying to get a better idea of what to do.

Stay Well everyone!
    fredeb
    fredeb

Post by fredeb Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:46 am

The Dahlquist DQ-10 look like awesome loudspeakers , they must sound fantastic .

ST-70 speaker recommendation? - Page 2 M_23S7JoGlwRsGT2Ta4i7ACJuvwBiHEcoTifmm8TUeHt-EkCq0wEiYz3-LHJd3t2RUGepDAAXmXYa1PP6vgHGK1jerEzUTGjl2irsRAMaeSdqV7Ixt6LuQAjelpSsiyEYK8TEVmXlRptrN382o4_lstil2goaLgE4vW_hTgSllVYadXTOAQ

http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quick-informations/dahlquist-dq-10-loudspeaker/

raudio44 likes this post

raudio44

Post by raudio44 Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:16 am

Well fredeb, you happened to post the 10's in their rather unflattering pose, without the grill covers. ha. Yes the DQ-10s are really good given the right power. they still maintain a considerable following today. Just fyi, here is a scan from a bad picture from early 1990s; shows my little custom work on the stands. (trying to see how to post a picture here)

STAY WELL
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:44 am

Would really appreciate anyone's hopefully final thoughts for my ST-70 speakers.

Just saw some really good price drops on amzon for 2 speakers I am trying to decide on.

So: SVS Prime Bookshelf (now at $399.12) (and on SVS site they state that oct 4 they are going to $600!)

Klipsch RP-500M the 70 should run them just fine but not sure about the sound overall. now at $350!

Now will the 70 drive the SVS Primes ok?

Then looking at the Klipsch RP 500M but not sure about the Klipsch sound. one of the detractions about both is they are rear ported which I was hoping to avoid but may not have much choice.

The Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2s look good but thinking the SVS and 500M may be better options especially with the price drops.

Kind of gnashing of teeth here wondering when they will jack up the prices. feeling like I have to make a move like now.

THANKS

EDIT: The SVS listed are used and they are out of stock in a few places I checked. so as of Oct 4th, they will be $600. Oh well. they are my 1st choice at the moment but open to others.
    Again kind of unsure about the Klipsch 'sound'; the RP 500M is at a decent price right now.
    jasn54

Post by jasn54 Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:55 pm

I drive my older-vintage, rear-ported Elac Uni-Fi UF5's (same as the bookshelf with extra woofers) using an ST-120 and they are quite nicely matched. I think you could do very well with the later model, using front ports. Given their concentric mid-tweeter drivers the soundstage is well balanced and very fulfilling.

I've tried both the 4-ohm and 8 ohm taps. I'm staying with the 8...
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:32 am

Thanks for the reply. I had considered the Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 because it seemed to be the next step up from the debut. then thought my ST-70 wouldn't have enough to drive them well and also the $ is a little over what I want to spend for my needs. good to know your 120 does the job though.

Still unsure and realize I am overthinking this but it will be the last speakers I will be getting so want to chose well within reason.

Ok still stuck. I am drawn to the SVS but again wondering about the RP 500M sound wise. I know my 70 will drive them well and they are within the size and price range for me. also there are some good reviews.

Then the Elacs; thinking I want a step up from the Debut 2 5.2s but maybe these are better than what I think.

Sorry for dragging this on everyone. Just dealing with a lot of issues and wanting to sort of complete my modest vintage system.

As always, appreciate the replies, they all help.
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 pm

I don't have an ST-70 any more - I have an ST-35. I am generally averse to buying speakers without hearing them, but a few years back I went out on a limb and bought a pair of Dynaco A-25s from a guy on here who had rebuilt the crossovers. I'm very happy with them. I've never seen an efficiency rating for them, but I'm able to drive them adequately.
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am

Read good reviews about the 25s but not looking for vintage speakers here; looking at new. I do have, or rather gave my son, my Dahlquist DQ-10s and hope to hear them again soon when I am able to set up my old system for him. Now in an apartment and have my modest vintage system which I need bookshelf speakers for.

So think I will go with the SVS Primes. Still wondering how well my ST-70 can drive them. These have been mentioned in some replies here so that seems to me that they would be fine. would like front port but I guess it may not be a problem with rear port. Getting close to going for them. by the way, on Oct 4th SVS is going up in price to $600. Now on amzn for $500. been drawn in a lot of directions lately so been off and on in dealing with this decision.

agree that it is not a good idea to buy speakers without hearing them, but I am not in a position to do this.

I still have a few days to decide.

Down seems like it's the SVS Prime or ELAC Debut 2 5.2s.  eliminated the Klipsch RP 500Ms. Just wondering if the SVS is the better way to go. 

thoughts, ideas will be appreciated.

Again, thanks to all.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Wharfedale makes some really nice sounding and affordable speakers. Elac are well-designed and regarded.

I wouldn’t worry about ST70 power being enough if you’re looking for bookshelf speakers. But definitely check reviews for difficult impedance loads.

raudio44 and knotscott like this post

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:23 pm

If you haven't seen this- An SVS review FWIW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtX9hwykWLM

He's reviewed the Elacs in the past, BTW

raudio44 likes this post

knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:08 am

It's always best if you could hear them yourself, or better yet, try them in your room.  Otherwise, other's opinions are like picking a color for someone else, when only your opinion matters in the end.  Placement and the sound of your room are other significant variables that make it so tough to predict.  Small speakers tend to cause fewer room issues due to less bass output.  

The SVS are well reviewed, and from a glance I like the looks of the drivers.  The suggestion for Wharfedale is also excellent IMO.   Pick a color! Laughing

raudio44 likes this post

raudio44

Post by raudio44 Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:19 am

Thanks to all for your input, very much appreciated.

Well FINALLY did it; ordered the SVS Primes. good reviews all around and also suggested by forum members here.

On the mfgs site, they will be going up in price on oct 4th by $100. looked around and were out of stock. Amzn only had the more expensive piano black available for $600. Didn't want that finish.

Found a link I saved from Crutchfield and cool, they were out of stock but you could back order at the old price ($500). Went for it.

Spent way too much time on this having been scattered in many directions with other things. also since this will most likely be my last set I get, wanted to make a good choice.

Overall, I'm sure any of the highly rated speakers would have been good, but taking everything into account these seemed the way to go.

Now it's a matter of how well my 70 can drive them. From what I have read they should be fine.

Thanks again everyone and will try to update this once I have them. going to a be few weeks I think, but not a problem.

Stay well everyone.   as always comments and info are welcome.

knotscott likes this post

jasn54

Post by jasn54 Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Congrats on the purchase @raudio44. I am sure they will make you happy.

Now you can bookmark This Link for another time... Wink
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:41 am

Thanks @jasn54, appreciate it. Sub looks interesting and saved the link. the problem is, being in an apartment, don't think my neighbors will appreciate my music.. Smile

Looking forward to these, oh and the last problem is, I have to actually pay for them!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:05 am